Part 12 : Jeju Day 1

Heads up: the Jeju chapters will be a bit longer than the other ones!

"JEJU, I'M HERE!" Lia said as she jumped out to the port. The last time I saw her this excited was her on her 15th birthday, when she was gifted her first game console. Well sure, it was a handheld console but the Nintendo 3Ds was definitely a great device. We had played Animal Crossing for hours upon hours but never got bored of it. We made an island that only we lived on and named it 'JinLia's hideout'. Sure it might seem cringe now but fourteen year old me really liked the thought of it. Ahh Lia, the effect you have on me.

Jeju looked like fun. It had the nice glowing scenery and lively atmosphere, kind of like how they portray them in those K-Dramas. I was just glad we got there and was trying to build up the courage for day 5. The day of confession, hopefully.

Yeji and Chaeryeong directed us to our hotel and we immediately got our room keys. Everyone had their own room except for Yeji and Chae and Lia and I. I was starting to feel nervous for some reason, the idea of sleeping in the same room as Lia on an island which was weird. We always share the same bed at home, why would this be any different? My heart kept on beating so fast to the point it hurt.

"So guys, the trip was long, how about we all just rest up in our rooms for a while and meet at the restaurant downstairs at like... 6? Sound good?" Chaeryeong announced. Everyone hummed in response as we were all a little dazed by the trip. Yuna already rushed to her room and slammed the door behind her. She was the youngest but indeed, the one with the least amount of energy.

"You got it Chae, see you then!" Lia and I replied and left to our room.

Our room looked great. There were blue and white prints covering the wall and a large window that gave us a beautiful view of the outside world. We were very lucky to get this room. Right in the center was a somewhat large bed, it was a little larger than the bed in Lia's room at home. I think it had been a good two minutes of me staring into the view until Lia nudged me.

"Pretty nice room, right Ryu?"
"Mhm, it's so beauti-.. oh" My words got cut off as I turned to see Lia. The sunlight's warm rays gently hit her face, creating this mystical effect. She looked ethereal, Lia I'm falling harder everyday.
"Huh?"
"Sorry, the sun was quite strong, it caught me off guard." I smiled.
"Does Jeju remind you of anything Ryu?"
"Let's see, what do you mean by anything?"
"Something related to us." She replied.
"Well, it kind of reminds of JinLia's hideout." I laughed in response.
"That's exactly what I was thinking of!"
"I really miss those days sometimes, you know, just us playing games on your 3Ds without a care in the world." I sighed.
"You know something funny, I don't actually miss those days."
"You don't?"
"Nah, because being with you everyday brings me the type of happiness that I never knew existed. I look forward to everyday Ryu."

Lia... that sounded like...a..did you just tell me how you feel? She immediately blushed and hid her face.

Wait - what?

Lia P.o.V

"Nah, because being with you everyday brings me the type of happiness that I never knew existed. I look forward to everyday Ryu."

Ok what did I just blurt out? I surely just said that due to the moment we were having. I didn't mean it like that? Or Ryujin didn't take it like that, right? She looked at me with a somewhat shocked face so I turned and blushed away. Quick, think of something.

"It's because I'm lucky to have someone who gets me, that's what best friends do for each other right?" I looked at her after my stupid comeback and she looked slightly defeated. She still had that smile on her face.

I'm starting to not like the term "best friend" anymore. It's so vague and emotionless? But that's what Ryujin is, she's my best friend. Nothing more, nothing less.

I've heard somewhere that your soulmate doesn't need to be someone you're romantically connected with. I think that's who Ryujin is to me. She's my soulmate but not romantically. That exists right?

But then is it true that I've never thought of Ryu as someone more than a friend to me? I found myself walking around the beach island at 1 AM, after dinner with the group and saying goodnight to Ryujin. She was surely awake, I know she's waiting for me but I had important things to think about.

So, have I ever thought of Ryujin as more than a friend? It would be a lie if I said no, but it would be a lie if I said yes. Arghh I hate this. Why can't I just understand what I'm feeling.

"Something bothering you Jisu?"

I turned to see Ryujin facing me. Did I say anything out loud? No I don't think I did. "No, nothing just thinking about general stuff."
"Oh nice, isn't the view nice, even in the late, or should I say this early." She chuckled. I just hummed and took a deep sigh. Maybe it wasn't worth thinking over. I looked at her.

"Ryujin, what do you think of me?"