Part 1

Lia and I have always been inseparable since the very beginning - when we were kids and even now, when we're older, almost full grown adults. Seoul was were I was born and raised, it's my hometown whereas Lia was born in Incheon. Her family moved to Seoul when she was about two years old so she doesn't remember Incheon too well. She moved into the same neighbourhood as me when she was around four years old. That's probably one of the best thing that's happened to me in my life. Now, the best thing that happened to me was when our families met.

It was one of the coldest days of the year, it was snowing, and my mother thought it was a good idea to go to the convenience store to get some ramen. Now I can say that it was a great idea. To her disappointment, her favourite brand of ramen had sold out. She was standing alone in the food aisle pondering about her ramen and that's when Lia's mother showed up. She asked my mother if she was looking for something and luckily, she had a whole stash of my mother's favourite ramen at home.

My mother went over to Lia's house for some tea and ramen. The two mothers bonded over the fact they both loved the same ramen and that they both had cheeky little daughters around the same age. Lia is one year older than me. So naturally, like most neighbours, my mother invited her friend for dinner the next day and that's when I met Lia.

I was four and Lia was five. I still remember seeing her for the first time. She was dressed really well, in a white puffed jacket and a pink scarf that had little power puff girls on it. We played some sort of board game, if I remember correctly, and that's how our friendship began.

A year later, when I turned five and she turned six, we both were registered to the same school and always stayed close. Thanks to Lia, I got through elementary, middle and high school just fine, with top grades and everything. She's been my biggest support and I really can't imagine life without her. Lia has always been a person I could talk to, laugh with and be myself around. It really feels good when you know you have someone you can trust by your side.

I'm seventeen and Lia is eighteen. We're both still in the same class and are still closer than ever. And I, Shin Ryujin, have to admit something.

Over my years of friendship with Lia, I realised that what I feel towards Lia is not something you feel for people you just want to be 'friends' with. I love Lia, genuinely. But I'm scared that if I tell her or worse, if she finds out, she'll hate me or keep her distance from me. How can I live without her, I can't risk our thirteen years of being best friends just because of my stupid feelings.

I really can't.