"I did." Zhi'er smiled uncomfortably, pretending to accidentally glance at their food, "oh, you guys must know since you weren't able to eat on time, there were a lot of people eating and by the time I got there this was all that was left."

A "witness" appeared on the side, "That's right, I was with Zhi'er at the time."

Qiao Lian appeared much more overbearing, "What, you wouldn't be blaming Zhi'er right? Is she going to get blamed while trying to be nice? Why are you being so picky when we helped bring back food for you?"

Xiu Yun didn't say anything to the side. Her head was lowered and she slowly clenched her hands.

Xiao Hua smiled and said: "Qiao Lian, you certainly have a vivid imagination. When did I say anything that sounded like I was blaming Zhi'er?"

There were no stools inside the room so she grabbed her bowl and sat on her bed.

"Helping your roommates bring back food should be a standard convention, but I still want to thank you guys. However, I do want to ask, aren't the meals fixed in timing and quantity?" Without waiting for anyone to react, Xiao Hua continued: "I know you guys are all really busy, and that the two of us are causing you a lot of hassle. If it's not convenient, please tell us directly and I can have Eunuch Fu arrange someone else to help us with our meals."

Currently the awkward situation had been kept under the surface. Those in the room at most just outwardly ignored the two, or occasionally had a sour undertone in their words. No matter how turbulent things got beneath the surface, no one wanted things to reach Eunuch Fu's ears.

"Based on what Xiao Hua is saying, I guess we can only blame ourselves for being too slow today. We will be more careful next time, no need to bother Eunuch Fu." Zhi'er smilingly promised.

The others also spoke up and agreed. Only Qiao Lian remained silent and gave Xiao Hua a glare.

"Then I really have to thank all my sisters here." Xiao Hua smiled widely but it didn't reach her eyes.

After speaking, she silently held her bowl and ate.

Taking advantage of the two being gone to do their dishes, Zhi'er opened her mouth and spoke: "I told you this wasn't a good idea, but you still insisted."

QIao Lian also had a bellyful of anger, "Was I the only one?"

What she said was true. At first it was only Qiao Lian who would do it while the others watched without saying anything, as though watching a show. Seeing Xiao Hua and Xiu Yun not react the first time, and knowing the two had taciturn personalities, the others also had the idea to let them suffer in silence.

They had indeed suffered in silence, and suffered for a few days at that. But it seemed like they did not intend to suffer any longer.

"Enough, enough, let's not go overboard. If things got to Eunuch Fu it would get ugly." Mei'er helped smooth things over at the side. They were palace maids who had just entered the Hall of Splendor. They had to at least maintain a harmonious appearance.

Qiao Lian hmphed and didn't say anything.

*****

The days passed and things became more complicated and busy. As long as the Jing Prince was present, they would have to serve him, and they couldn't go about their work as idly as they had in the past. Since they were under the eyes of the biggest master in the estate, even if they schemed against each other in private, they still paid strict attention to their work.

The Jing Prince rarely stayed in the Hall of Splendor, mostly going to the front court. He left in the morning and returning for lunch though sometimes he would remain out. Sometimes he would read in the study in the afternoon, or sit fixedly in the hall. Of course there were times when he couldn't be seen.