People would come out and stop them if they tried to do additional work. It somehow gave Xiao Hua the feeling of not fitting in, as if they were outsiders. Despite entering the hall, they weren't truly part of it.

Xiao Hua did not tell anyone about these worries and merely kept it in her heart and raised her alertness. Of course, she could just be overthinking things.

*****

People had different statuses, and jobs were divided into good and bad which was really decided by one's perspective.

Having served in the hall for a few days, these low palace maids could all somewhat sense a few things.

At least some people understood that despite them all being the same, there were two people whose jobs were better than everyone else's, these two being Xiao Hua and Xiu Yun.

The way this was reflected was that Xiao Hua and Xiu Yun became isolated by everyone else in the room.

These days the others in the room, intentionally or not, rarely spoke with the two. Even Xi'er who normally enjoyed sticking to others and chatting had spoken noticeably less. Luckily Xiao Hua and Xiu Yun both knew how to be tactful, otherwise it would really have been a little hard to get used to.

Of course this was just the beginning. In the following days, the others gradually started saying a few sour words. Only then did Xiao Hua realized why she and Xiu Yun received such "special" treatment from the others in the room. It was because their jobs allowed them to stay by the Jing Prince's side the longest.

After Xiao Hua understood, the only thing she could do was smile bitterly.

The one who acted out the most was Qiao Lian, followed by Zhi'er. Mei'er and Xi'er didn't really say much, but Xi'er barely spoke with Xiao Hua and Xiu Yun anymore, often looking at them with a complicated expression.

Serving by the master's side often meant they went hungry. The master sits while you stand. The master eats while you watch. If the Jing Prince didn't take a rest after eating, Xiao Hua and Xiu Yun would have to hungrily wait until he left.

Therefore, the job was not as great as it seemed. These things Xiao Hu could understand, but unfortunately the rest could not.

Having endured their hunger until the Jing Prince took Eunuch Fu to the front court in the afternoon, Xiao Hua and Xiu Yun let out a breath and returned to the palace maids' room. Their lunch had already been delivered, and those in the room had already eaten. Only they had yet to eat.

The food left on the table had gotten cold, and also seemed like someone's leftovers.

This situation had happened several times before. When Xiao Hua and Xiu Yun were unable to make it back for lunch, the food was brought over by the rest of the low palace maids in the room.

At first it was still alright, but it gradually became this way. The food grew less and less, with only a few grains of rice while the dishes were more sauce than substance.

The Jing Prince Estate's meals were pretty decent, and having come to the Hall of Splendor things only improved. For it to become like this, Xiao Hua didn't believe the rest didn't do it on purpose.

She didn't say anything, and only looked fixedly at her own bowl.

When Xiao Hua and Xiu Yun got back, everyone in the room had been talking. When they entered things had quieted down a little, and seeing Xiao Hua's lunch the room had fallen silent.

"Who helped fetch my food today?" Xiao Hua did her best to keep her voice mild and succeeded, though she was not as successful in keeping her expression mild. Actually, Xiao Hua's current appearance was really not that different from her usual self, but those with guilty consciences would let their imaginations run and feel guilty.