A few maids came up with a copper basin and towel to wipe off Tian Shi's face. Only then did she with Xiu E's help lean back against her recliner.

After a while, she slowly opened her mouth: "Yi'er, you aren't young anymore. Having gotten married, you're now an adult. But why do you never think before you act?"

"Mom—" The 4th young master sat there without knowing what to say.

Since he was still young despite being an outstanding talent, there was still inevitably some immaturity. Seeing this younger son in front of her, Tian-Shi only felt some relief after thinking of her older son.

Tian-Shi sighed again, and spoke once more: "Since Qiao-Shi is your principal wife, why don't you leave even a bit of face for her? When hearing that she had hung herself, your first questions was whether she died yet? How did I give birth to such a heartless thing?" Feeling her own chest start to get tight again, Tian-Shi hurriedly evened out her breathing.

"Mom, I didn't...I didn't mean it like that...." The 4th young master also didn't know how to explain. Although he said he didn't mean it, those words had truly come out of his mouth.

Tian-Shi raised her hand, "Alright, that's enough. Mother knows you didn't mean it. But—" She paused, and opened her mouth again: "But no matter if you meant it or not, such words can't come out of your mouth. Mother knows you don't like Qiao-Shi, and mother has also said she wouldn't care if you take some concubines afterwards. But you also can't just insult Qiao-Shi's dignity like that in broad daylight. If you do that how is she supposed to have the face to continue living in the estate?"

The 4th young master lowered his reddened face.

Tian-Shi sighed once again. This son of hers was pampered from childhood, and has a warm and pure nature. His only two problems were his love of beauty and his inability to think things through.

She could only blame herself for spoiling him and protecting him too much. Almost eighteen years old and never thinking about his words before he spoke, and his actions were even more purely according to his whims.

"Qiao-Shi's father is a high official in the Ministry of Appointments. If Qiao-Shi really hung herself in our estate, wouldn't it force our families to become enemies? Although our household doesn't fear them, and we're also not afraid of making our in-laws our enemies, how would outsiders view our Jinyang Marquis Estate? That we bullied people based on our position, and forced a principal wife to her death?"

The 4th young master was just about to speak but was interrupted again by Tian-Shi's words: "Mother knows you think Qiao-Shi isn't good looking enough, but since ancient times the wife has always been married for her worth and concubines taken for their looks. All the wealthy households came about this way. It's impossible for everyone to marry a wife that suits their tastes. As the master of your own pavilion, the most important thing is to be impartial. Who cares if you don't like her and don't favor her? Who you want to pamper is your own choice. However, you cannot take away her dignity. If you don't leave her face, can she avoid causing a disturbance? Furthermore, the moment you leave her without face is the moment you throw your own face away since a married couple should stand united."

The 4th young master sat there with a pondering face though it was unclear what he was thinking about.

Tian-Shi also wasn't expecting to get through to him in one go so she sighed. "Alright, you don't have to feel too frustrated. Just keep mother's words in your mind. Regarding those maids –"

Upon hearing this the 4th young master still wanted to ask for mercy on their behalf, but his words were swallowed up by the madam's glare.

"Those maids will either be sold or beaten to death. The choice is yours."