"Dignity?" Qiao-Shi sneered and wiped her tears resentfully. "Did you ever leave me any dignity? The night of our wedding you argued with me until the whole estate heard about it. If you disliked my appearance, why did you marry me initially? Now you even come slap my face over a maid. Since she's a mere maid, I could have had her beaten to death instead of just giving her a slap, and no one would say a word."

The young master stood there, his pale and handsome face turning red in anger.

Qiao-Shi's words were not wrong. The servants that entered Jinyang Marquis Estate had all signed life and death contracts. Masters who had disobedient servants beaten to death could be found everywhere, and not once did any authorities come get involved.

Life wasn't worth much, especially that of servants.

The young master understood this concept but had always cherished the opposite sex and never abused the maids by his side. He was deeply against those that would beat their maids randomly, often saying that this was an act of destroying something beautiful with a wicked hand. But he couldn't refute Qiao-Shi's words, especially since he was always someone who was good with logic and reasoning. He wouldn't call something white if it was clearly black.

He became aware of his inelegant actions at this moment. Why would he be so stupid as to come argue with his unattractive wife?

"I don't care how you treat the maids by your side, but you're not allowed to touch the maids by mine." The young master spoke and gave Qiao-Shi a disdainful glance. "Really, what a shrew!"

After speaking, he flung his sleeve and walked out the door.

Qiao-Shi was silent for a long while before laughing loudly in distress.

Matron Chen saw that her behavior wasn't quite normal, and went up to placate her. Qiao-Shi shook off Matron Chen's hand, picked up the decorations in the house and threw it to the floor.

A cacophony of crashes and clattering sounded, just like the broken pieces of her heart.

****

The argument in the main residence was too intense, and could even be heard from the guest house.

After some time, the 4th young master reappeared with a dark expression.

After returning, he sat there without saying anything. Following the crashing and clattering sounds from the main residence, his expression turned even darker.

Dinner had been served and the few maids lightly set the table. Bi Yuan could also no longer nurse her sadness, and hurriedly stood to serve the young master his meal.

He gave her permission to rest but Bi Yuan refused, saying that no matter how serious the situation, serving the young master was most important.

The 4th young master was very moved, and looked at Bi Yuan with a gentle gaze with eyes like they were about to water. No longer angry, he began to eat while being served by the maids.

Those that could become senior maids were all skilled. Xiao Hua watched as Bi Yuan, Cui Lan and Liu Ye's interruptions and antics caused the young master's expression to gradually improve.

After dinner, the young master's habit was to read and write. The maids all crowded around grinding the ink or lighting the lamps.

Xiao Hua let out a breath and slowly retreated outside.

The nightscape outside was as beautiful as the moon and water. The lights flickered behind while the birds chirped. Xiao Hua took a look at the pitch black main residence that was close by.

Though she was beaten to death on Qiao-Shi's orders in her previous life, and even suspected her to be the one that slipped her an infertility pill, she couldn't find it within herself to hate her.

Qiao-Shi was also a very pitiful woman. Her appearance wasn't her fault. Her mistake was in marrying the beauty loving, and eventually frivolous 4th young master.

In her last life, Qiao-Shi had never experienced happiness the entire time she was a principal wife at the estate. There was always someone jumping around above her, first Bi Yuan then Xiao Hua herself. Afterwards there were many other girls that the 4th young master brought in....and since she had no backers to rely on, she could only watch helplessly as her husband held public displays of affection with these birds. She lived alone for years, without being able to give birth to a child...

Without a child, even her mother-in-law didn't treat her well. In the end, she was forced to turn from a pampered girl into one who schemed deeply, gradually becoming ruthless in the end.

But in her previous life, right up to when she died, Xiao Hua had not seen Qiao-Shi give birth to a child....