fifty

epilogue

karl and ashton walked to the little café down the street from their house, hands in one another's, holding onto it tightly. they had nothing special planned for the day, keeping it simple for their two year anniversary. doing the opposite as on their first real date. but they knew that it would turn out just as perfect - for the simple reason that they were with the other, not needing more than themselves to be happy and enjoy the time they had regardless.

they remembered the day clearly, still happy about everything that came the way it did. it was a magical night, made special by their emotions for the beautiful soul sitting on the chair across the table.

ashton hated her clumsiness most of the time, when it made her trip and fall down the stairs or when she forgot to call a client back in time, resulting in messing up their schedule.
but if it wasn't for that exact clumsiness they would've never met, she wouldn't have ended up typing in the wrong area code, forgetting where her best friend lived because of excitement.
that was the one time she was actually really thankful for it.

"it's mavie", ashton said with a gentle smile on her face. "hm?", karl asked, a bit confused. "my middle name", she took in a breath of the cold air that started to waft in fall. "i still haven't told you."

karl looked down her with an ecstatic smile on his face. the butterflies growing in the pit of his stomach were still there every time she smiled at him or when the two of them touched, just like on the first day that they had met. he couldn't describe his feelings if he tried, all he knew was that he had found the woman to settle with for life, his significant other, the person he shared a unique and overly strong bond with.

and ashton felt the exact same way, not doubting her feelings once. every day she woke up she felt safe and comfortable in the arms of her man, surrounded by the bittersweet smell of his cologne that she grew so familiar to was a wonderful present to her.
no matter what she did, she was happy as long as he was near.

they agreed on not wanting to marry or have kids early on, that was just something they didn't need to feel complete and happy in life. children weren't for them, they'd rather have all of their time for themselves, their careers and friends that came over more often now - whenever they could.
marriage was useless and stressful. they had each other's promise and trust that would be unbreakable until death teared them apart in cruelty. they didn't need a contract to be loyal or tender.

why spent thousands of dollars on one day to let a stranger make your affirmation for each other official, when they knew how they felt all along? they loved each other regardless and that was all that mattered in the end.

there will come times that won't be as easy for them, arguments and stress included, for sure.
but they'd work their way through it together, never giving up on their relationship.
there was nothing they couldn't handle if they worked together as the team they formed over time.

neither of them was a fan of spirituality nor believed in soulmates — the one partner for life that would make you feel complete, like your missing piece returned. the one other human being that you would go through every rough time with, not giving up on the other no matter how difficult things could get between you or in life in general. yet they had found each other and that was more evidence than they needed to maybe not deny it anymore. they were made to be with each other until the very end.

everything that happened to you had a reason, every person their purpose on earth. no matter how dark times could get or how weak you felt sometimes, thinking it was hopeless - the universe had more to offer for those who stayed patient and proved trust.