forty-four

"ash! wake up!", i could feel karl's nervous hands on my arm, shaking me carefully. "mhhhhmm", i grumble, barely even awake. "we have to leave in an hour, get showering, i'm all done", he continued, pulling away the duvet. "ey!", i sit up, opening my tired eyes for the first time today. "come on, we're going to your parents!"

i laughed a little as i took note of the situation and how nervous but happy he seemed. "fine, fine", i got up. "you're cute. i'm going showering, can u look for my favorite skirt and blouse pleeeaase?", i ask, giving him puppy eyes. "will do, love", he smiled back at me. "thank you!"  and with that i left, making my way over to the bathroom to shower and get ready.
it only took me about twenty minutes with shaving before i slipped into my bathrobe.

"can i wear a black button up with white jeans? or should i go with a coat?", he asked immediately as i re-entered the room. "both sounds nice but your whole wardrobe is amazing, you've got a really good sense for fashion and also, you look good in everything so don't overthink it", i smile at him while getting the clothes he laid on the bed for me, putting them on right next to the bed, him still in the room but my body was turned away from him slightly.

i didn't want to leave the room every time and would have to get used to it anyway, no matter how scared i was of anyone seeing me like that. i trusted him.

"i ca-", he paused as he realized and i could feel his eyes burn their way into my back as i heard steps getting closer slowly, a cold hand running over it softly. "how did this happen?", he kept his voice quiet as i put on my bra, turning to face him. "the scar on your back, how did you get it?", he let his eyes meet mine with a caring expression written in them. "i've told you about my ex, didn't i?", i tried to laugh it off quietly, grabbing the blouse. "she did this to you?", he asked, scanning over my face for any evidence of a joke. "yeah in a huge fight we had cause of her cheating, she grabbed a knife and just- it's been years, it's fine.", i smiled up at him, not wanting him to feel bad about it. he placed a little kiss on my forehead, making both of us smile.

we we're a little late because karl couldn't decide on what to wear but we were almost there now, causing his nerves to ride a rollercoaster. "i'm so nervous, do you think they'll like me?"
"they'll love you."
"what if they don't?"
"then you have to sleep on the couch for the rest of your life, roomie", i joke, making him laugh. "you're not making this any less stressful for me"

"i know", i grin as the car stopped in front of my family's house. "ready?"
"no.", we got out of the car."can i still just drive back?", he asked as we're walking up to the front door. "you can do this, remember our deal?" "uhh right, let's go", he smiled widely, ringing the bell.

"i go!", we heard my sister from inside, running down the stairs before the door flew open. "hi!", she grinned, seeming way too excited. "one rule", i say before karl even get's the chance to talk. "leave karl alone", i laugh, knowing that she's been in love with him for years and would probably not see him as just karl but the online figure karl jacobs. i wanted her to treat him normally and like just my- almost boyfriend.

"deal", she giggled. "i'm just happy to meet you!", she glared up at him. "the pleasure is all mine", he returned it kindly. "come on in", she opened the door even wider, letting us enter the house i grew up in.

"pa's in the kitchen with kimmy and dad and emmi are coming in a second, they're changing zeke's diapers."
the confused look on karl's face made me laugh. "kim is one of our sisters, i told you about her, the nineteen year old. zeke's her son, two years old. emmi is seven and the youngest of us. you know dad from facetime and pa's cooking i guess."

"ahh", he smiled. "thanks for the explanation."
we followed roya into the kitchen. "ashton!", my father hugged me tightly. "hi pa", i smiled, giving him a kiss on the cheek. "may i introduce karl to you?", i smile. "hello! nice to meet you, kid", he smiled, pulling him into a tight hug as well, making karl's smile grow even bigger. "nice to meet you too!", he returned it happily. "my name's matt but you can go along with pa if you'd like"
"hello", kim smiled at both of us as she returned from what i supposed to be the bathroom, hugging both of us as well. "kimberly, glad to see you", she said to karl, before my dad came downstairs with the two youngest, zeke on his arm and emmi on his hand.

"karl!", he grinned, giving kim her son before pulling him into a hug as well. "nice to finally see you, oh you're taller than i thought!", he laughed.

i helped my father with the rest of the food as karl got dragged into emmi's room with her and roya, they wanted to show him all of their stuff and talk to him alone for a bit. kim and dad sat down at the table already, kimmy having zeke on her lap, asking me a few questions about karl as they got the chance.

the atmosphere later at dinner was immaculate.
they got along perfectly. no stress, no awkward silence, no weird questions or childhood stories. even roya stayed calm and cool, seeming to realize that he was just a normal human like every other one of us as well and keeping out of his career. i was way more than just happy to see all of them welcoming him with warm and open arms, i love them all so much.