Nineteen | It's My Birthday

Start from the beginning

The coffee is helping a little. I do however need my glasses.

I sit beside her, giving her my hand to paint. She opens the bottle of blue nail polish and begins to paint light strokes on each of my nails.

I admire her. Just ignoring what she does to my hand. My eyes move all over her face. Her perfect skin, her eyebrows, her lips, her scar, her big green eyes.

Fuck me, she is perfect.

She might be a giant blur to me right now, but I know she is beautiful. I move a little closer just so I can see her clearer.

Yup, she is still beautiful. I would let this girl break my heart a thousand times and thank her for each time.

She suddenly speaks, snapping out of whatever that was. "Tell me about yourself, Luke." I love when she says my name.

It is such a common name, but when she says it! Words cannot even describe how it makes me feel.

"What is there for me to tell you?" I ask her. She looks up at me, our eyes meet and she says. "When did you start playing guitar?"

Tough question honestly. "It is quite a funny story. When I was a kid I liked this foreign girl in my neighborhood and she said she liked people who played guitars. So I asked my parents for a guitar and started taking lessons. She moved and I was like "what the fuck?" And then I just carried on playing." She snickers at that. She finishes off with another layer of nail polish.

"Can you play for me one day?" She gives me a charming smile.

My heart skips a beat when she says that. Playing for her would be an honor. "One day," I smirk at her. That one day will come soon.

"Can I have your pick?" She asks, opening a clear polish.

That is a straight-up no. I put my blood, sweat, and tears into getting that pick. Especially blood. I got punched by some girl because she wanted it first. "Sorry, that is a hard no." I tell her as she finishes off my nails.

I look at my hand. It's pretty. I like it a lot. "Do the other one." I give her my left hand to paint. She looks unsure however she starts painting. "Do you have any tattoos?"

I nod, moving the neckline of my shirt to show her a tattoo of the saying 'smoking kills' near my collarbone. "18-year-old me wasn't thinking straight." I chuckle nervously. "There's also this one." I lift the hem of my shirt, unbuttoning my pants to show her the the tramp stamp that sits just below my hipbone dead centre.

Her eyes go wide, but I quickly rebutting my pants and put my shirt down. "And there's this one." I turn my body, lifting my shirt or show her the tattoo that is on my shoulder blade of a car speeding. It's such a stupid tattoo, but with a meaning. All of my friends have this tattoo. I'm not sure how Noah convinced us all to get it, but now it's a reminder of him. "And finally, this one." I turn back around to show the tattoo of a crescent moon behind my ear that is often hidden with my hair.

She looks at the tattoo for a bit and a small smile appears on her face. "I was planning on getting the 'smoking kills' removed-"

"I like it." She cuts me off. She likes it. I am keeping it forever I guess.

She finishes painting my left hand and she starts adding the clear nail polish. "What does your name mean?" I am a little ashamed of what my name means.

I take a deep breath from my nose and mumble. "Twinkling lights." Her entire face lights up. Her eyes sparkle like the meaning of my name.

"Oh em gee! That is so cute like you! It fits you perfectly!" What, no, no. No, it doesn't.