20 : Just friends

~ Rosella ~

I was done with preparing dinner for Lucas and he hasn't came yet so I hurried to my car and went home to get dressed as Andrew is gonna pick me up at 7.

I got dressed and while I was putting on my shoes the door bell rang. I open the door and it was Andrew standing in a dark blue suit. Though he wers formal clothes everyday at office but today his extra effort on his look didn't go unnoticed.

"You look beautiful. " He said with a charming smile that earlier used to make me feel butterflies in my stomach, but sadly not anymore. "Thank you, you too are looking handsome tonight." His smile widened "well thank you, shall we get going now?" I nodded and he walked me towards his car.

Andrew brought me to a fancy restaurant, to which he already made reservations. I just sat in silence just spoke when I had to order food. My mind was already preoccupied by a million thoughts.

I felt as if I betrayed Lucas by not telling him I had to come here. Though it's not necessary and none of his business to know about my personal life but why do I feel guilty. Why do I feel like it should be Lucas and not Andrew I'm suppose to have dinner with.

"You look lost. " Andrew brought me back from my mental debate. " Umm it's nothing. "
"I forgot to wish you 'Happy Birthday" I took out the gift from my purse and gave it to him.

"You really did not have to get me a gift, you came here to celebrate my birthday is enough for me." I just forced a smile.

He unwrapped the gift and opened the box which had a wrist watch in it. "I don't know much about what you like so i just got this... hope you like it."

At first he didn't say anything, and just took off the watch he was wearing before and then wore the watch that I gave him.
He finally broke the silance and said "loved it, thank you for being so thoughtful." He said with a warm smile.

Our food arrived shortly after that, we also did a little cake cutting and it was a fun little celebration. And now Andrew is driving back home.

He pulled up at my driveway. " That was an amazing evening and Happy Birthday once again." I was about to get off the car but he stopped me by holding my hand.

"Rosella" He said my name and had a weird emotion in his eyes as if he was sad or worried about something. "I wanted to say this to you since a few days but I didn't know how."

"Is there something wrong?" I asked.
"No nothing's wrong...it's just that you are always on my mind since the time we spend together in Brazil. Those moments keep playing in my head. You have such a vibrant personality that people feel happy around you. And I wanna tell you that I like you a lot and not just like a friend but more than that."

There was a complete silence in the car after he finished speaking. My mind didn't know how to react at this and his eyes looked expectantly at me.
His thumb rubbed circles on the back of my hand that he was still holding the entire time.

I retreated my hand back from his hold " Look Andrew you are a great guy and an amazing friend but I think we should stick to our friendship as it is. "

"It's totally fine that you don't feel the same as I do but would you let me atleast try to show you how I feel." I never expected Andrew would ever say this to me but now that I don't even have a crush on him it's Ten time more difficult.

I did not want to hurt him so I got an idea that I always used to do in high school and it would always work when a guy would confess to me.

"Actually I already like someone and I can't think about anybody else except him. "I tried to sound as convincing as I could.

His facial expressions went from expectant to sad. " Oh I umm didn't know about that... I guess we should just be friends then."

" Please don't be sad on your birthday. I know you will find someone better then me, you deserve so much more. "

"Don't worry about me I'll be fine. "
"Okay then I'll be going now. " I left his car and went in my apartment.

"Don't tell me you guys kissed" Emma asked immediately the moment I entered the house.

"No why would you say that. " I sat on the couch beside her.

"Well you just went on a date with him and were in his car for almost fifteen minutes since he pulled up in front of our house. Tell me what am I supposed to think. "

"He said he likes me. " I blurted out.
"And what did you say?" She asked and then I explained everything that had happened and surprisingly Emma was very impressed for what I did.

"Thank goodness you did that as he appears shady, I wouldn't trust him. "

"Come on Emma I've told you he is a good guy-" She didn't even let me finish.

"Whatever if he is but I am team Lucas. " She spoke like a fan girl.

"Oh god not again. I'm going to bed now. " I went in my room took a shower and laid on my bed. Thought I was tired but still I couldn't sleep. What I said to Andrew was a lie but now when I think about it then it's not completely a lie. As I did like a guy in my childhood. I never met him again after that but I never left hope and so I always used to turn down guys who would confess to me.

That reminds me of Lucas, did he had his dinner? But why am I worried about him as if I like him. Woah did I just think about liking my boss. I better sleep.

~ Next Day ~

I came to Lucas's place on time and went in the kitchen to prepare breakfast but I was shocked to find that the dinner I placed yesterday on the kitchen counter was untouched.

I went in the living room where Daisy (the housemaid) was cleaning the floor.
"Daisy I told you to serve dinner to Lucas when he comes home, then why is it still untouched? "

"Ma'am I did tried to serve the food but sir asked me where you were and when I told him that you left early he just went in his room saying he wasn't hungry. "

I don't know why that makes me feel guilty for some odd reason. But it was indeed my mistake.

I went in the kitchen made a nice breakfast for Lucas as an apology.

When I was done cooking I paced the food on the dining table but Lucas still hasn't came down so I went up to his room to call him.

I was about to knock but the door was already wide open and I saw Lucas standing in front of the mirror putting on his tie.

"Breakfast is ready. " I said and he just nods looking in the mirror.

I went in his room and started tidying up his bed. While I was folding up the blanket Lucas caught my hand and said "Do this later and come have breakfast with me." I just nodded in response.

I sat in front of him like I usually do while having meals and we ate our breakfast in silence. The air felt thick around us and I couldn't keep in the question that was troubling me so i asked "Why did you not eat dinner yesterday".

"Coz you didn't." He said nonchalantly.
"What? "
" It was in the deal we made. You will cook the meals and also eat them with me." Well he is right and it's my fault so i apologized.

"I'm sorry I didn't inform you that I had to leave early. "

"Hmm now that you broke a rule, you should be punished." I almost choke on my food and looked at him with wide eyes.

***************************************
Don't forget to vote ⭐