Chapter 11: Decker

"Finally got your head out of your ass," Hatch grumbled at me as he walked into my office. We were back in the city, tying up some loose ends so my move would be as seamless as possible. Byron was in Harbor's Edge securing office space and my assistant was making plans to move as well. An older woman who'd worked for my father, Connie had nothing tying her to the city and wanted to keep an eye on me so I didn't mess up again. She'd liked Willow from the first time I'd brought her by the offices.

"You coming with?" I asked, thinking I could guess his answer.

"Yeah, nothing keeping me here except a wide variety of pussy. Pickings are gonna be slim in HE, but once I work my way through the local talent, it's only quick flight back to the city.""

"You don't have to go with," I told him. "I hate to deprive you of an all-you-can-eat buffet."

"You know damn well I'll be going with you. All the guys are in. More for Willow than you, but whatever it takes, right?"

"They finding places to live OK?"

"So far, everyone's secured a rental, no problem." Hatch shot me a look. "But, man, gotta ask, you sure this is what you want? Just six weeks ago you tossed her away. Now you're pulling up stakes to go after her. This better be forever because if you hurt her again, I will kill you this time."

I leveled him with a glare. "I'm sure."

"Nurie's not liking this."

I kicked back in my chair. "It doesn't matter. I told her we're done for good."

"And she's heard that how many times in the last eight years? You always go back."

"I'm well aware of my past with her. But it's just that. The past."

"You know her. You know she's not going to just let you go."

"She has no choice. And I have you and your guys to keep tabs on her and make sure she stays settled."

"We're watching her. We've also set up surveillance and security around the cottage and Willow's place."

"Make sure she's covered. I want her protected."