C16

Chapter 16:    Feels Like Three Years ②

After alighting the plane, there were already a few people from the branch office there to fetch Chen Yifei. But, Chen Yifei first gave Yan Yu a call to notify him of his arrival. It had only been three hours since they had parted from each other, but Yan Yu had so much to say, as though they had not seen each other for three weeks, that Chen Yifei could not quickly hang up the call.

There were many people at the office welcoming Chen Yifei once he had arrived, and everyone was courteous. Strictly speaking, Chen Yifei was merely a supervisor sent from the headquarters, his position was not even that high but, Chen Yifei guessed that perhaps Yan Yu had said something to the branch’s board members since everyone treated Chen Yifei as if he had graced their presence as an emperor.

Chen Yifei greeted each department and told the departmental managers the time of their meeting later on. When Chen Yifei arrived at the marketing department, he was greeted by the department head, who was a young man. The moment he saw Chen Yifei, the expression on his face changed, as if he had expected him all along.

The department head called out with excitement, “Chen Yifei! It’s really you!!”

Chen Yifei was surprised. He looked closer at the department head, but he could not recall him immediately. He finally recalled who this person was after seeing the name card on his desk with the name ‘Xu Yunfei’ written on it.

Chen Yifei thought as he read aloud, “... Xu Yunfei?”

Chen Yifei thought that he must have been blessed with a life that allows him to meet his ex-schoolmates often. Xu Yunfei was the chairperson of their university’s student union while he was the vice-chairperson. He and Xu Yunfei were often teased and labelled as the “perfect duo*”.

(T/N*: This is an extremely difficult term to translate to English, so let me try to explain the meanings behind it. Both of their names end with ‘fei’, as in 飞 in Chinese. The actual label used was 双飞人. There are three meanings behind this label. 1. The direct translation 双 = pair / duo. 飞 = fei (fly), 人 = human / person, so it can literally mean a pair of people who have ‘fei’ in their names. 2. 双飞 in Chinese means ‘having sex’. 3. 飞人 (fly + man) can be understood as a superman. This is why the label 双飞人 can be used to both praise and tease Chen Yifei and Xu Yunfei.)

Xu Yunfei, “It has been such a long time. I was so shocked when I heard Chairman Yan said your name. I thought it would be impossible for such a coincidence to happen, and it actually happened!”

Chen Yifei laughed helplessly, “Since when did you join this company?”

“It’s been quite a while now.” Xu Yunfei laughed, “As expected of Vice-Chairperson Chen, I’ve heard that Chairman Yan treasures you a lot.”

Chen Yifei replied dismissively, “Don’t tease me.”

Chen Yifei and Xu Yunfei had not been in the same major when they were in university, but because of their responsibilities as the chairperson and vice-chairperson of the student union, they had spent quite a lot of time together and became close friends.

Until a particular incident happened. Chen Yifei still felt embarrassed about it even when he recalled the incident. On that day, Chen Yifei’s boyfriend of that time went to the campus to look for him. The two were kissing on the empty basketball court at night, and it just happened that Xu Yunfei was playing basketball alone and saw them.

Xu Yunfei was shocked speechless and walked away straight away, embarrassed. Since then, the atmosphere had become very awkward between them. Chen Yifei thought that, perhaps, he could not accept things like that, so he did not mention it, either.