C8

Chapter 8:    Taking root and sprouting ①

During work, Chen Yifei went to the company’s planning and strategy department to learn. The manager of the department had attended Yan Yu’s short meeting last Saturday, and Yan Yu’s statement, “you guys should learn from Assistant Chen”, had left a deep impression on him. Now that he saw Chen Yifei in person, the manager fully understood that Yan Yu was not exaggerating at all.

Chen Yifei, who was taking notes, noticed the manager staring at him. He smiled and inquired, “What’s wrong? Are there any problems, manager?”

The manager felt as though he had taken instant damage from the sunshine-bright smile from a young handsome lad. Despite Chen Yifei only being an assistant, his position in their Chairman’s heart was much higher than this department manager right here. How could he keep his head up as an experienced senior like this?

The manager smiled helplessly, “No problems at all. It’s just that I can’t help but be impressed by your talents. Chairman Yan was giving you such high praises in last week’s meeting.”

Chen Yifei smiled softly, “There are still many things I need to learn.”

“Haha, there’s no need to be this humble.”

Back in Yan Yu’s office, Chen Yifei realised that Yan Yu was in an online meeting. Chen Yifei had not wanted to disturb them, but Yan Yu waved at him, “Chen Yifei, help me brew a cup of tea.”

Chen Yifei signalled his affirmation and went to brew the tea before placing the cup on the corner of Yan Yu’s desk. Yan Yu’s meeting ended just in time. Yan Yu stretched before he took a sip of tea and said, “CEO Zhang said that he was tempted to poach you.”

Upon hearing that, Chen Yifei thought about how CEO Zhang would not have been so upfront had he been serious.

Chen Yifei being capable was a well-known fact, which actually put considerable pressure on Yan Yu. If Chen Yifei were to be poached one day, Yan Yu would be so broken-hearted.

Even if it was only for the sake of the company’s future, Yan Yu had to keep an invaluable talent such as Chen Yifei in their company. If Chen Yifei were to be poached by another company, Yan Yu would not hesitate to offer two times of whatever was offered by the other party.

Chen Yifei drove Yan Yu back to his house after they got off work and went shopping for groceries alone as he had promised to eat dinner with Yan Yu. Yan Yu had transferred a week’s budget to Chen Yifei but upon seeing the amount transferred to him, he could not decide what he should buy.

Yan Yu had transferred too much money. Was he planning to hold a grand banquet?

Yan Yu was dumbfounded when he saw how much food Chen Yifei made, “Why is there so much food? Can the two of us even finish this?”

Chen Yifei sat down, “You gave me too much money.”

“Well, just keep it when there’s extra,” Yan Yu replied.

Yan Yu had always been very generous when it came to money. Although Chen Yifei was working as his assistant, driver, and even caretaker, and that he should be paid more, it did not feel right to Chen Yifei. He felt as though he was receiving too much in comparison to his output.

Yan Yu asked, “What do you do if you need money urgently now that you have asked for a three-month pre-payment of your salary?”

“I have my own savings,” Chen Yifei answered.

Yan Yu shrugged. In order to not let the food go to waste, Yan Yu forcefully ate everything, only to end up lying on the sofa, burping due to his fullness.