Chapter 20

By the time that we got back to the church, it was already around 3PM. Sarv rushed Ruv and I out of the vehicle, hoping we'd help set up a late mass for her. Without a choice, Ruv and I helped Sarv set up and clean up the area for a mass. Even though we were only gone for a few hours, and didn't touch the main church room, it was extremely dusty. Sarv looked extremely rushed as well.

We eventually got the place cleaned up, finally being able to relax. Sarv wouldn't be able to however. She was widely hyper and excited to start her mass. I wasn't sure how she was even going to let people know that a mass was starting anyways. I didn't question it too much though. She was happy, and that was all that mattered.

I turned to my left, hoping to see Ruv still sitting on the pew he was on. However, he was gone. I flashed my eyes around the room, and saw his pearly white eyes glow from behind a pillar. They widened with shock as I made eye contact, and they pulled behind the shadow on the pillar, away from my vision. I frowned, leaning every which way to try and see his eyes again. Their pearly white color was actually extremely pretty. So was Sarv's. Ruv's had a hint of blue in them though.

I stood up from the pew I was on, and looked to Sarv. She guided an elderly man into the church, with a kind smile, and her posture outstretched with joy. He seemed to be blind though. What a shame he wasn't able to see just how much she enjoyed helping others. She held her smile, and looked away from the man. She scanned the room, and her vision landed on me. I signaled to her that I would be leaving. She nodded, her smile turning to an understanding motherly kind.

I walked in between the pews, pushing myself forward off of the backs of the pews every so often. I might have looked childish, but it got me out of the room faster. The first thing I did when I left the room was dash to the "secret" library I was brought to. I was still a bit interested in the language Ruv introduced to me, and I was hoping I could read on it a bit. 

I entered the library, and the smell of old books returned. I smiled, missing the room's smell and look. A simple but happy memory was made in this room, and I don't regret it at all. I dragged my finger across multiple books on the shelves, silently reading the titles to myself. I soon found a book titled "Ancient Languages", which was an extremely vague and convenient title. I pulled the book off of the shelf, realizing it was a bit heavier than I expected it to be. 

I brought the book over to a dirtied beanbag, and I fell onto it. I crossed my legs, leaning the book up in my lap. I opened it, immediately finding the index. I couldn't read any of the languages. They were all written in their own writing and spelling. I frowned, almost ready to give up. 

I looked up and down at all of the letters, hoping I could recognize something that would help me find the language. It also didn't help that I didn't even know its name. To be fair, neither did Ruv. I gripped onto the book, beginning to get frustrated. I quickly loosened my grip though, recognizing a specific letter. "Y".

I smiled, and my entire face lit up with joy. I immediately read the page number. 146. I carefully but quickly flipped through the book, gradually getting closer to page 146. I was sure I was going to give myself a paper cut, but luckily, none appeared. Page 146 landed directly in front of me, and I immediately began to read the page. Or at least, try to.

I didn't understand any of the writing. All of my physical joy on my face disappeared. I frowned a bit, and my hold on the book loosened. I sighed, still trying to read the page. No success. I left the book in my lap, and I reared my head backwards, upsettingly. 

"Didn't expect you to be back down here." The thick Russian accent caught me off guard. I whipped my head to the left, where the voice came from. Ruv stood in the doorway of the library, with his hands in his pockets. No surprise there.