CHAPTER 46

Jamal practically jumped down from his car and dashed into the compound of his in-laws, praying silently for Akeela's survival and hoping his parents would arrive soonest. He met the maid at the gate because he did not bother to enter with his car. The girl led him in.

He was a few distances away from the front door when Haneefah burst out of the house. She glared at him coldly.

"I wonder what your problem is", she attacked him.

"What are you doing here?" Jamal asked him. She was wearing a big gown and a small veil, he noticed that she looked more robust.

Is Akeela here? He asked himself.

"You keep pushing people away with your behavior. You did this with me and this made it very hard for me to confide in you, now you are doing the same with your wife? What sort of man are you?"

Jamal wanted to ask her to shut up but he knew she was saying the truth. It seemed to him like his sister was talking from her pain of not being able to confide in him as a brother. His overprotectiveness was unnecessary, instead of helping out, it was pushing her forward into the arms of his friend. Now, the same thing was happening to his wife. He felt he was pushing her away too hard.

"I hope you learn your lesson before it is too late", she purposely bumped her shoulder onto his as she walked past him with a loud hiss.

Jamal looked down feeling dejected. After some minutes, he went in. He met Akeela's mother in the living room and he knelt immediately to beg her for being irresponsible.

"I am sorry, ma", he pleaded.

"Sorry? This girl didn't want to come to Nigeria but I forced her to because of you. She had a boyfriend and I coerced her into breaking up with him, just for you. I vouched for you, her father did too and this is what you want to do...."

"Please, ma." He cut her short. He was aware of how angry she was. He just wanted to be rest assured that Akeela was there and safe. He knew he had done wrong.

She fumed in silence until they heard the door open and Jamal's parents rushed in.

"Where is my wife?" His mother asked with a concerned voice.

Jamal turned to look at them. She exchanged stares with his father before looking back at Akeela's silent mother.

Jamal heard footsteps from upstairs and hoisted his head up immediately to see Akeela coming out of her room with her father who was guiding her. He heaved a sigh of relief unconsciously.

"Ameera?" His mother called her.

"Your son is irresponsible", she blurted out.

His mother nodded and pleaded with her to forgive him. Akeela sat beside her mother as she asked Jamal to sit down too. Jamal did as instructed after asking for forgiveness one more time. Akeela was silent all through and ignored him.

"Jamal, what happened between you and your wife?" Mr. Rabiu questioned.

He sighed deeply.

'Should I tell them what happened so they will know the fault is not entirely mine? Or should I just let go and pretend like all of these never happened? If I want to pretend, how long will this go? Should I just say out my mind so we can be free from all of this? If I don't say my mind, I might end up misbehaving again if the thoughts of Akeela's cheating come back or I see Fred again. I can't pretend forever', he was thinking within him.

"Jamal", her father's voice is raised and he knew instantly that he was also mad at him.

Mr. Aderonmu on the other hand is also fuming in anger beside his wife. Jamal knew he was disappointed in him, so he felt it was best if he told them what happened.