CHAPTER 45

Akeela was trying so hard to uphold the vow of not crying anymore about the unpleasant happening in her life, as she drove home. She felt sick and miserable. She wondered why bad things were happening to her, after so much anticipation.

She had gone back to her office to pack her belongings after the exchange of words with her boss before leaving. As she drove home, she realized Sarah and Fred weren't the only ones who were unhappy about the marriage between her and Jamal, Abduljalal was sad about it too.

She packed the car quietly and literally dragged her feet into the house. She was thinking of what next to do with her life and how to cope with being home alone since she was jobless. She was also pondering on what to tell her parents about the job, especially her mother who got the job for her.

She sighed deeply and strolled to go to the bedroom to take a nap when she saw the dining table looking just the way she left it.

Creasing her brows, she walked towards the dining area. As soon as she was close enough, she opened the plates and was shocked to see the food untouched.

She had gone through so much trouble to prepare the meal that morning before going to work and Jamal had let it go to waste.

Haneefah said it was his favorite and that anguished Akeela more. Jamal was making things hard on her, including her approach to making their marriage work.

What else does he want? She demanded with a sob.

She found herself hugging her feet to herself as she sat on the floor of the dining area and crying her eyes out.

****
Jamal got home to meet the absence of Akeela for the second time in a row. He waved the thought of trying to know where she went to away and went to bed in a foul mood.

He was a married woman and he ought to be happy looking for the first few months of his marriage but he couldn't explain why he was feeling nothing close to happiness and satisfaction. Instead, the emotions he was feeling were anger, sadness, and betrayal.

The next morning, when he woke up, he realized she wasn't back yet and he became mad.

He checked the Master's Bedroom and the toilet for traces of her arrival when he was asleep but there was nothing. He checked the dining area and saw the plate of food still sitting comfortably there.

He sighed deeply. He was about to go to the bathroom to take his bath and prepare for work when his phone rang. It was a call from his mother-in-law.

"Good morning, ma", he saluted politely, trying to sound happy like the way he ought to sound.

"Good morning, Jamal", she greeted him back softly. "Are you home?"

"Yes, ma."

"Where is your wife?" She asked him.

Jamal scratched his head when the reality dawned on him that he doesn't even know where she could have gone to.

Is she back with Fred? Where the hell did she go to? Why didn't she come home last night? Why can't she inform me of wherever she wants to go?

"Jamal", the woman called again. "Where is your wife?"

"I...I..don't...I just woke up", he answered instead.

"You just woke up? What has that got to do with the question I am asking you?" Her voice was raised and harsh.

Jamal knew he was in trouble. He was married and he had no idea where his wife had gone to.

"I didn't meet her at home last night. I woke up this morning to meet her absence", he declared truthfully.

"Your wife has been missing since yesterday and you did not bother to look for her?" The woman questioned.

"No, ma...I..."

"Shut up!" She ordered.

Jamal kept quiet. He didn't know what to think about the whole issue. He kept getting confused with each passing day.

He knew he would be in deep trouble if Akeela was really missing. He would be held responsible for not being responsible enough to take care of his wife in just four days after their marriage.

"Come to the house now!" She commanded, after a moment of silence.

"Yes, ma", he answered but the call had already been disconnected. He rushed to the bathroom after dropping the phone with his heart beating heavily in fear of the unknown.

He was scared that Akeela had done something bad to herself and he knew he would never forgive himself if that was the issue. As he took his bath, he prayed within him that she would be alive and in good condition.

When he got out of the bathroom, he performed ablution and prayed his missed morning prayer, seeking Allah's guidance and protection on his wife, with a guilty conscience.

He wouldn't forgive himself if anything happened to her. He knew his attitude towards her was making things hard for her but he couldn't control his anger whenever he remembered what happened and what he saw.

It was hard on him. It was hard to believe and take in. It was hard to deal with and it was hard for him to live with. He was finding it so difficult to forgive Akeela and forget it like it never happened. He wished things were different.

After praying, he removed his Jallabia and wore a T-shirt and faded blue jean trousers in a hurry. He went back to the living room to get his phone which he dropped on the sofa before going to take his bath.

He dialed his mother's number and she picked at the fifth ring.

"Oko mi", she said.

"Mom, can we meet at my father-in-law's home?" He demanded in a hurry. He couldn't wait to go to the house to see what was happening and if Akeela was really missing.

"What happened?" She could sense the urgency in his voice and she became alert with worry. "Did something bad happen to Akeela?"

"I don't know, mom", Jamal became emotional. His voice was shaky.

"What do you mean you don't know? Aren't you two together? Isn't she in your house?" She asked but Jamal was quiet. He was trying so hard not to let the sobbing rising within him escape his mouth.

"Jamal", his mother yelled. "What is happening?"

"It seems Akeela is missing, mom", he announced and the woman screamed in shock.

****
Is Akeela truly missing? Where can she be? Had she gone back to Fred? Did she decide to visit Sarah again and something happened? Has she gone back to England? Where do you think she has gone to?

Don't forget to vote and comment. Thank you❤