CHAPTER 28

It was a week before Akeela and Jamal's wedding. They were all earnestly preparing for the big day when the knot will be tied and the bond of the two families would become stronger.

Akeela was excited, so was Jamal who couldn't wait to make her his wife.
Haneefa and Akeela's mother took it upon themselves to do virtually everything needed, including going to Dubai on behalf of Akeela to shop for her wedding dress and her kitchen appliances.

Ameera, Akeela's mother insisted on getting the Aso Ebi in Nigeria instead of shopping them from Dubai. They also got her some other things she would be needing for the wedding.

Akeela asked Haneefah to be her best lady while Jamal asked the crazy Oye to be his best man. Akeela laughed at the combination, wondering why Jamal was against a relationship between them.

Akeela saw no reason why she should request a leave from work in other to prepare for her wedding as well as to spend some time with her husband after the wedding. Sarah asked her to but Akeela didn't listen to her.

When she got to work that morning, dressed in an Ankara gown and a veil around her face and neck region as usual, with sandals, she was greeted with a smile by the gateman. Akeela greeted him too and went into the company.

She had been regarded with a different sort of respect by her colleagues for more than a week before then. Some were calling her Amarya and others Iyawo which literally means bride. She was yet to be a bride but Nigerians use that to refer to people who are almost married or married already.

Akeela smiled. She was sure Sarah was behind it. Sarah doesn't know how to keep quiet when it comes to things like that.

Sarah jumped up in excitement when Akeela informed her of her wedding. Akeela laughed but the moment she remembered her husband was Sarah's ex, her laughter died down. She was sad for Sarah and sad for the fact that their friendship would end the moment Sarah gets to know that Jamal was her husband.

She purposely invited her to the wedding. She didn't know what would happen and how Sarah would react to the news when she gets to know at the wedding venue but Akeela felt she was doing the right thing.

The moment she got in, the telephone rang. Akeela picked it up.

"Good morning, sir", she greeted knowing it was her boss calling.

"Good morning, Akeela. Are you in?"

"Yes, sir."

"Come to my office", he requested, before dropping the call. Akeela placed the telephone back in its stand before standing up to go to her boss's office. Their relationship over the past week had grown from strict to friendly one.

Sarah wasn't in the cubicle when Akeela passed and she was glad for that. Sarah was gradually turning her into a chatterbox. She reminded Akeela so much of her friends in England, especially Fiona and Isabella.

They hadn't gone on their date too and Akeela told her they would go after the wedding. Sarah reluctantly agreed. Akeela knew what she was doing. She knew the date might never happen because Sarah wouldn't want to have anything to do with her again once she gets to know who her groom is or it would even make their friendship stronger. Akeela hoped for the latter.

She knocked on the door and her boss gave her permission to enter before she did.

"Good morning, sir", she greeted him again when she entered.

"Good morning, Akeela", he smiled at her. She saw him examining her dress as she moved closer to take a seat.

He wasn't doing anything. He seemed to be waiting for her before starting the work for the day.

"How are you?" He asked.

Akeela was a bit surprised. "Fine, sir."

"I told my father about your campaign and how successful it was. He was impressed and he said he knew you were a success before he decided to offer you the job", he stopped and peered at her with an amusing expression.

"On merit", he completed and they both laughed, knowing how funny the story of how he claimed she didn't get the job on merit was.

"I don't know your father but I must say he is a great man for employing me on merit", Akeela added and they laughed again.

"He asked me to invite you over for a family dinner on Friday night. So I just thought I should let you know", he said after the laughter died down. He was being polite.

"Oh, that is so nice of him!", Akeela was thinking of how to reject the invitation because she would be busy throughout the week, in preparation for her wedding.

Haneefah was insisting they do a bridal shower party, then mother's day, henna day, and many more, and everything was to start by Wednesday or Thursday.

"I was also thinking something", he uttered, looking nervous. Akeela wondered what it was.

"Would you like to go on a date with me?" He finally questioned, after a moment of silence between them.

Akeela wanted to laugh at how silly it sounded.

Going on a date with my boss 6 days to my wedding?

He seemed to be pleading with his eyes. She realized her boss had been kind to her, not because she was his employee but because he likes her.

She wondered why she didn't figure that out all along that her boss had been secretly admiring her.

"I'm sorry, sir, I can't", she was truly sorry. He was a good-looking man, no doubt and no girl wouldn't want to go on a date with him but she knew she can't and she won't.

She was more than satisfied with Jamal. He was everything she had prayed to God to have. He was her ideal Muslim husband and she couldn't wait to start forever with him.

He wasn't saying anything and Akeela knew he was hurt.

"I can't go on a date with you because I am getting married in a few days." She decided to give him a reason for her rejection.

"What?" He exclaimed in shock and with mouth agape.

"Yes, sir, and sorry I won't be able to accept the invitation to your family dinner, I would be busy with preparations for my wedding." She was able to reject the invitation without any remorse since it was out that she was getting married.

He wasn't saying anything again, he was just staring at her, still shocked at the news and imagining what it would be like to have her as his wife and being her groom.

Akeela stood up and walked quietly to the door, feeling sorry for him.

"Akeela?" He called. She turned back.

"I thought we had a thing for each other", he said with no shame. Akeela smiled.

He had taken her gentility and kindness for admiration and love. He wasn't the first man to say that, so she wasn't surprised. She felt nothing but sympathy for him.

"No, sir", she shook her head gently. "I am getting married on Saturday", she repeated more firmly before exiting his office.

***
Someone should tell Oga to park well o, don't come and spoil the show for us.🙊😝😝

Who is coming for the bridal shower?😄😻💃

Sorry for the late update, I have been extremely busy and sick. May Allah (S.W.T) grant His Shifa to all those who are not healthy.

Don't forget to vote and comment. I promise the next update won't take this long In Sha Allah.