Chapter Twenty-One

I woke up smiling today, and I know that has to do with a certain blonde that I invited out onto the lake with us today

I know it's going to piss Lyla off, but I don't fucking care anymore. What I do with my time is up to me. I'm in control. Plus, if she misbehaves, I'm the one that gets to choose her punishment, and who doesn't love a bit of power?

I know I do.

But before we hit the lake, I have a date with an even more stubborn lady. I knock on her door and not a minute later, she answers.

"Good morning, Della," I smile. "I brought you some breakfast."

She's still in her night gown, with her hair up in curlers and glasses resting on the edge of her nose. Della has become the grandma that I never got to have, as both my parents had lost both of theirs before we were even born.

"Good morning to you too, boy," she says, reaching out to grab the takeout plate from me. "Come in."

We walk through the sitting room and into the kitchen before Della grabs some silverware. The house itself is small, but it's just enough for Della. Her couch is one of those you'd see in old eighties movies, covered in handmade quilts that she made.

There are not many pictures on the walls other than the ones of her late niece. Other than her, Della has no family. So, while the house is comforting and cozy, it lacks that familiar wholesome family vibe.

"Let's go, Jensen. It's a beautiful day, and I'd like to eat my breakfast outside." Somehow while I was surveying the house, she had made her own cup of coffee and transferred food to her plate from the box.

I'm thankful that it's early May because it means it's finally comfortable enough for us to sit outside again. Della wouldn't be out here if it wasn't. I swear, this woman is one of the coldest natured people I've ever met.

"So," she says, taking a bite of her omelet. "What plans do you have today?"

"My family and I are taking the boat out onto the lake today for a bit of bonding. It's been hard to get everyone in the same place because of work and school, but we've had this planned and we're making a day of it."

"That sounds nice honey," she says. "Who else is going with you?"

"Why would you think anyone else is going with us?"

I'm not a good liar. Not right now. Anyone in this moment could look at the beads of sweat on my forehead and my bouncing legs and see that I'm lying, that I'm nervous. Once I admit it to Della, it's real. Not that it isn't already, but the woman has a way of knowing all my business without me even trying.

"Jensen, I'm old. Not blind. I see your truck leaving that pretty girl's house next door a lot here lately. Not to mention, you run together and walk together, and you're smiling a lot. And you're a bit antsy this morning, which you normally aren't."