Chapter Seven

"What kind of bread does Della eat again?" Lorraine asks me

"She eats the white wheat kind."

"You know, you're a pretty good man, J. It's really nice of you to do this for her every week."

"She doesn't have anyone else," I mutter. "But I also like the company, so I don't mind."

Della is the elderly woman who lives across the lake from me, inconveniently right beside of Baya's house. She moved here about a year ago after her niece passed away. Della's in her mid-eighties and doesn't get around as well as she used to, so every week I make a run into town to pick up groceries for her, any medicine that she has, and when she needs to go to the doctor or go to the bank, I take her.

Della is like a grandma to me, and I like spending time with her. She's lived an interesting life.

"Still. You don't have to do it, but you do anyways. I'm really proud of you, big brother." Lorraine smiles at me, and it's the kind that resonates throughout your whole body.

Everything I've been through. Everything I've done. Everything I've sacrificed. The look on my sister's face right now just lets me know that it was all worth it.

Not every aspect of my life is all sunshine and rainbows because I still have my issues, but Lorraine turned out okay. Jax is pretty good too. If I can just make it another year with Lyla, I can breathe freely again—sort of.

But to know that at least one of my siblings thinks I'm a good man, means that hopefully I didn't totally screw up.

"Thanks, Lo."

"What else do you need to get for her?"

"Just some milk, eggs, butter, and ice cream."

We make our way over to the cold section of the store, grabbing the milk, eggs, and butter. The ice cream is on the next aisle over. Della gave me strict instructions to only get the Breyer's peach kind and that if I got anything else other than that, she'd skin my hide.

The woman is crazy particular about her ice cream.

As we turn the corner, I recognize a blonde standing at the other end of the aisle, staring at the ice cream section. I know it's Baya as soon as I see her because the energy in the room changes. She's always been effortlessly beautiful. Standing there in her jean shorts, baggy t-shirt that's tied to the side, her hair in a messy bun.

I forgot how gorgeous she was. She may have changed in other aspects, but her looks aren't too far from what she looked like before. She was a girl back then, but now she's all woman.

No, Jensen. Stop thinking of her that way. She left you, broke your heart, and you hate her.

You hate her.

"Baya!" Lorraine squeaks. She immediately turns our way, and I can visibly see her body turn tense, as does mine. I guess we have that affect on each other now.