Shadow Dance/Strife In the Dead of Night: FIVE

Start from the beginning

"This is getting kind of annoying," I sighed as we continued to edge our way across a ledge and up the mountain. It was like the lightning was being aimed at us and I was certain it would only get worse. Greece ducked just in time to avoid being struck and swore under his breath in an archaic tongue.

"This is what I get for looking after you for thousands of years," he grumbled as he pulled himself back onto the path, "We're almost there. C'mon."

The path up to the summit widened considerably and the converging point of the storm was now visible. As we got closer, we could see bits and pieces of stone pillars sticking out of the path and a torn down structure. The sky above was a violent mess of blues, blacks and greys. Shadows clashed against the scorching lights and it only got worse as we walked towards the center.

Despite missing a roof and how ravaged the ruins looked, it was clear it used to be a shining temple or something of that sort.

Something in the distance caught my eye. I wasn't sure if it was just the light playing tricks on me or something but hazy silhouettes began to dot the path ahead. It looked like large groups of people were gathered, carrying gifts and offerings, though something didn't seem right about them.

"NASA? Are you alright?"

I looked up to see NATO steadying me with a concerned expression on his face. The silhouettes were gone.

"Did I... did I just black out back there?" I shook my head but it didn't do anything to help, "Sorry about that. I should be fine now."

Perhaps the abnormally electrical environment was interfering with my bionic attachments and sensors. NATO still looked worried but we continued up onto the summit, hoping to grab and go as quickly as possible.

After dodging bolt after bolt, we finally reached the entrance of the temple which had been reduced to a giant rectangle of half-pillars.

"It should be somewhere here," Greece muttered to himself, "Let's spread out and look for it."

They got to work digging through piles of rubble, lifting fallen pillars, checking empty jars and diving away from more lightning bolts.

It was still nowhere to be found and I began to get frustrated as a high pitched hum grew louder in my head. The flashing lights didn't help the nausea either.

It got so bad that I had to find the nearest surface and sit down, cradling my head in my hands as I tried to steady my oddly erratic breathing.

The noise slowly disappeared, only to be replaced by incoherent mutterings of people. I didn't know if it was any better than before.

"Excuse me, you're in my way."

My eyes snapped open to see no one else until I realized the voice was coming from the ground. A shadow of a man carrying an amphora, brimming with wine, tapped his foot impatiently as he gestured at the shadow I casted. He looked a bit miffed and tilted his head towards the pile of rubble behind me.

"If you don't mind, I have an offering to make."

I let him pass by and watched as he placed the jar upon the rubble and disappeared before my very eyes.

"NASA!!!"

I snapped out of my trance for a second time to find NATO shaking my shoulders furiously.