fifteen

════ ⋆★⋆ ════

════ ⋆★⋆ ════

'That was embarrassing...' Hye-ryeong thought to herself as they sat at the dining table with Wonho's grandparents. But it wasn't the lunch that was the issue. It was the fact that Wonho's grandfather had witnessed her biting him. However, instead of a negative reaction, the elder man smiled warmly.

His smile caught Hye-ryeong's attention, captivating her with its unwavering charm. Despite his aging posture and the wrinkles that adorned his face, his charisma remained intact. He had the same presence she had observed the first time they met, although he was no longer wearing a coat.

Hye-ryeong recalled Seokjin telling her that others found him intimidating, with his large mansion, maids, driver, and numerous trophies on display. She understood why people would feel intimidated by him. But in that moment, his image seemed different from what she had heard.

She had learned that Seokjin and his wife's marriage had been arranged, yet they appeared to be content. But she couldn't help but wonder if there was more to their story. After all, every story has its own backstory.

"How do you make a living, Hye-ryeong?" Seokjin's deep voice broke the silence in the dining room, after the maids had cleared the table.

"I have an online apparel business," Hye-ryeong replied politely.

"Hmm... That's a good job for young people these days."

"Yes." They shared a chuckle.

"Grandpa, she's also a writer!" Wonho chimed in.

Seokjin's wife, Joo Hari, joined the conversation. "What kind of books do you write?"

"I write fiction," Hye-ryeong said with a wide smile. "Mainly sci-fi and romance."

"Wow!" Hari exclaimed, her face lighting up. "I love reading. I'll definitely read your book when it's published. Do you have a title in mind?"

"Well," Hye-ryeong chuckled, "I'm not sure yet. But if all goes well, I might title it 'Choi Hye-ryeong'."

"Can I get a free copy?" Hari joked.

"Of course," Hye-ryeong replied with a wink, feeling more at ease with Hari's warm presence.

Wonho, his grandmother, and Hari burst into laughter, but Seokjin remained silent. Hye-ryeong noticed his lack of reaction and worried that she might have triggered something with the mention of the name.

**********

"You should end your book with today's events," Seokjin's voice cut through the lingering awkwardness a few moments after Hari and Wonho had left the room, leaving them alone in the living room.

"Huh?" Hye-ryeong's face displayed confusion.

"You can include a line like 'Kim Seokjin says thank you'."