eleven

════ ⋆★⋆ ════

════ ⋆★⋆ ════

year 1962

A big house stood in the middle of a forest, shrouded by towering trees and a gloomy sky. The moonlight struggled to penetrate through the branches, making it difficult for her to see. She had no idea where she was or how she had ended up there. If she screamed, no one would hear her. Time seemed like a mystery too, as there were no calendars, radios, or televisions in the house.

Whenever she thought about her fiancé, she realized it had been a long time. His name would float around in her head, driving her nearly insane. She longed to speak with him, to hear his voice. However, his name had become a forbidden word in the house.

She curled into a ball, hugging her knees, yearning to be held in his arms once again. But then a thought crossed her mind: Would he still accept her? Her body bore the scars of his rage.

"Honey!" Her breath caught in her throat at the sound of a loud voice. She sank onto the bed and closed her eyes, pulling the duvet over her. "I bought your favorite," the owner of the voice said.

"Honey." A slender hand gripped the hem of the duvet, hiding her face. A warm smile greeted her, and the aroma of her favorite dish filled the air, but it didn't awaken her appetite. "Let's eat. I'll take you out later. It's not good to stay in the house for so long."

Hye-ryeong sat up and moved closer to him. The need to be near him wouldn't have been so strong if her glasses hadn't been damaged. "Where?" she asked cautiously.

The man raised an eyebrow and replied, "Oh! There's a river nearby. We can have some fun."

Hye-ryeong's expectations shattered. In a small voice, she responded, "Ah... That's... great."

The man gave her an icy stare. "What's with that reaction?" he asked in a low, sinister tone.

Hye-ryeong remained silent for a moment before summoning the courage to speak. "How long have we been here?"

The man continued to stare at her, his glare unreadable. Knowing his nature, she braced herself for the worst. "Why does it matter to you?" he asked in the same tone.

"I... I miss my family," she said, a tear streaming down her cheek.

He clenched his jaw, his fist forming on his thigh. Food spilled on the floor as he tossed the container aside. Suddenly, he grabbed her hair and yanked her head back. As he drew her closer, she felt his enraged breath. "How many times do I have to tell you? It's just you and me. You belong to me, and no one can take you away!"

Hye-ryeong whimpered. "You're hurting me, Taehyung-ah."

"Once I've finished everything, I'll take you out of Korea. You'll be mine alone. We'll get married and—"