nine

════ ⋆★⋆ ════

════ ⋆★⋆ ════

They couldn't finish the food, as Hye-ryeong predicted. Finally, they requested that the remaining food be wrapped and paid for. She had to admit that she had overestimated her budget previously. It turned out to be a hefty sum. Her part-time earnings were almost insufficient to cover the costs. Thankfully, the woman behind the counter gave them a significant discount because Seokjin reminded her of her own young love story with her husband.

"Damn, I didn't know my existence could help you get a discount," Seokjin remarked.

"If it hadn't been for you bringing me here, I wouldn't have had to pay that much!" Hye-ryeong stomped her foot and grumbled.

Seokjin looked bewildered. "Why are you blaming me? I didn't even order one of each dish. You were the one who claimed you could pay for the entire meal," he retorted, walking away and rolling his eyes.

Hye-ryeong pouted and huffed as she walked, the sound of plastic rustling in her hands. "It was a nice meal, though. This is not how I usually eat."

"What have you been eating?" Seokjin inquired.

"Nothing but ramen. Occasionally some canned food," she shrugged.

Seokjin glanced at her from the corner of his eye. "Are you worried about your budget?"

"Not really," Hye-ryeong pouted. "I just don't have time to eat."

A brief chuckle escaped Seokjin's lips. "That's probably what my Hye-ryeong used to say when she went on a diet. Being a model doesn't mean you should skip meals or neglect your health. Striking a pose requires a lot of energy. I understand that being a model involves more than just posing for a single photograph."

Hye-ryeong sighed and rolled her eyes again. "What does that have to do with me?" she retorted.

"You're only a student, right?"

"And a part-timer," she added, her gaze fixed on him.

"I may not have been a college student, but I can imagine your situation, working all day to the point where you forget to eat."

"You know what, Seokjin? If you want to give me advice or something, just know that I don't need your words."

"I don't want to give you advice. You're old enough to understand that every action has consequences."

"But you sound like an elderly person about to say something."

Seokjin let out a snort. "And you sound like a teenager going through a dreadful puberty phase. So rebellious."

"And you're a real pain in the ass."

Seokjin raised an eyebrow. "How am I such an annoyance?" he asked.

"To be honest," Hye-ryeong confessed, "the fact that you came to this generation to find your reincarnated lover annoys me."

Seokjin abruptly came to a halt, causing Hye-ryeong to stop as well. "Do you still think I should replace Hye-ryeong with someone new?"

Hye-ryeong felt uneasy. She remembered what she had said to Seokjin before. Until that moment, she couldn't tell if it was a slip of the tongue or if she had said it on purpose. She had to admit that she had a bad temper, but that didn't mean she couldn't control it around strangers.

She had no idea how quickly time could pass and how she could have grown accustomed to Seokjin as if he had been a long-time friend. But she was determined that she had no attachment to the man.

It was awkward for her to apologize, but she had no choice. "Hey, Seokjin. I didn't mean what I said."

Seokjin shifted his weight to face her. "I'll give you a chance to explain," he responded after a long stare.

Mutterings from passers-by filled the air, along with the sound of their footsteps on the concrete. The enticing aroma of a nearby restaurant permeated the otherwise solemn atmosphere. The pleasant smell and nervousness made Hye-ryeong gulp. Time seemed to have no effect on her reasoning.

Hye-ryeong struggled to find words. "I..." was all she managed to say. A silence settled between them. She wanted to explain, but what could she say?

Seokjin's sigh broke the ice. "I know it was impolite of me to stay at a single woman's home. I understand how uneasy it is to welcome a potentially insane stranger into your house. Since yesterday, I've been wondering why you let me stay."

Hye-ryeong stood there, wanting to say something but hesitant to speak.

"I almost couldn't sleep because I thought it would be impolite to leave without telling you. Even a thank-you note would have been meaningless."

"Why did you come back to find me then?"

"I just wanted to explain. I'm not as insane as you think. I didn't want us to meet again and have you think the worst of me. But yeah, I might have gone a little crazy believing in something I never imagined could happen, all because of love. But if I never made an effort to find my lover again, I know... I know I'd regret it for the rest of my life."

Hye-ryeong shook her head, showing her discontent. "The more I think about it and listen to you, the more it seems like you've been living a lie," she said. "I mean, it's amazing that I've chosen to support and help you based on what you believe. Quite a pleasant surprise!" The word "pleasant" had a cynical undertone. "After careful consideration, I've decided to assist you. Because I'm in the same situation as you. If I abandoned you after the words I spat at you, if I left you in the cold and hungry during the night, I'd regret it for the rest of my life."

Another pause hung in the air between them. The intensity of their sorrowful gazes grew. The sound of a passing bus on the highway caused a brief interruption, but it didn't bother them. Hye-ryeong, however, was lost in her thoughts due to the silence.

Every description of his journal that she had read before irritated her. He should have learned by now that he needed to move on and let his Choi Hye-ryeong become a thing of the past. The repetition got him nowhere but forward, leading him to believe that his lover had been reborn.

"Now that I think about it, isn't it better to know how you're doing right now? Instead of desperately seeking your potentially reincarnated fiancée, you should be here seeking answers to your existential dilemmas. Instead of staying stuck in the past, you should be searching for hope here," Hye-ryeong added.

Seokjin broke their gaze, looking away, and let out a quiet sigh. He took a deep breath. "I need some time alone," he said, turning his gaze back to her.

"Do you know the way--"

"I know the way. I'll find you again. Don't worry," he said softly, ending the sentence.