Chapter Forty-Four: Partial Reunion

Thorindir sat staring at the horizon. The sun was peeking over the mountains, giving light to a new day. It was the morning after Faleon had left, claiming to go to Eramire's rescue. Thorindir hadn't slept a wink all night. Earwen had tried her best to take part in his silent vigil, but despite her efforts, she lay curled up on her side like a kitten, ready for any hint of trouble with her silver bow clutched in her hand. But her face was unworried, as if they weren't in the wilderness camped only a few hours' ride from the entrance to a goblin fortress.

Thorindir envied her simple freedom. She was completely devoid of worry or fear, despite the fact that both hovered over them constantly. But then why should she worry when everyone else had the tasks of planning their quests and conferencing with elders? Why be afraid with so many to protect her?

He noticed the direction of his bitter thoughts and halted them. He faulted her for her freedom, and yet she was also strong of heart and mind. She could fend for herself if need be. She was capable of so much. They just didn't give her many opportunities. He couldn't risk her life—couldn't let her lead for fear of compromising her safety.

The burden of protecting the sisters lay on his shoulders, and having to rely on Faleon to fetch Eramire, the woman he loved, grated so much that he had to keep himself from grinding his teeth. He shook his head. He had to get over it. Eramire did not love him. He ran his fingers over the scar on his cheek, agitated. What use was it dwelling on the past?

Earwen sighed and mumbled in her sleep. Thorindir smiled. He stood and pulled the blanket up over her shoulders, brushing tendrils of auburn hair from her face. She nuzzled deeper into her blanket, another soft sigh escaping her lips. He returned to his seat, again watching the rising sun.

Where were they?

Suddenly he became aware of a loud whooshing sound. The hair on the nape of his neck stood on end. The sound came nearer and identified itself as the beating of enormous leathery wings.

Thorindir bounded to Earwen's side, shaking her. "Earwen, wake up," he whispered hoarsely.

The young elf's eyes fluttered open, gazing at him in muddled confusion. "What?" she grunted.

"Earwen, get up! Something's coming!" said the elf general in a tone that was not to be argued with.

He watched as her eyes widened in alarm. She scrambled up and followed him as they both dashed for the trees. The flapping of wings became louder, and dust stirred as the beast landed in their campsite. Earwen glanced at him, her back to a tree, eyes wild in fear. He held a finger to his lips. Just as he was trying to think of an escape plan, a familiar voice called out.

"We're back!"

Thorindir whirled around the tree he had been hiding behind. Earwen followed, and they both gaped in shock at the scene before them. There sat Faleon and Eramire on the back of a gleaming silver fire drake.

"Oh my..." Earwen exclaimed, huffing in laughter.

Thorindir's initial shock faded and was replaced with relief at seeing Eramire safe at last. Faleon alighted onto the drake's tail and turned to catch Eramire around the waist as she slid off. Thorindir felt his stomach twitch at the familiar way Faleon touched her and at Eramire's easy way of interacting with him in return.

Earwen, now unafraid, bounded forward, eyes dancing. "I'm so glad you're back! Where in the world did you get the fire drake from?"

"Tokka," Eramire corrected her sister, smiling, and the drake seemed to grumble appreciatively.

"The goblins have been keeping her for me," Faleon replied to the earlier question.

Thorindir's eyes narrowed in suspicion. "So you've been here before?"

Faleon rolled his eyes and replied, voice dripping in sarcasm, "I work for Goroth, or don't you recall?"

Thorindir closed most of the space that stood between him and the arrogant man. "What I don't understand is how you maintain your position with all the side trips you seem to make. And how you can barge in and rescue Eramire without raising any sort of suspicion about where you truly stand. Oh, and thanks for warning us about the goblins!"

Faleon's eyes darkened, no longer amused by the elf man's anger. "I have paid my dues to the Dark Lord and have earned his explicit trust. I am an informant. As long as I bring back good information in a timely matter, I am free to carry on as I please. And goblins change the entrances to their lairs on a regular basis, so how was I to know we would cross their path? As for rescuing our fair queen, I was worried myself about how I would retrieve her. Fortunately she helped me greatly."

Faleon gave Eramire a winning smile, and she looked at her feet, embarrassed by his praise. Again, the same dark, niggling emotion worked in Thorindir's stomach.

"What are you talking about?" he shouted, frustrated by their leading statements.

Faleon nodded to Eramire. "Go ahead. Tell them how you had escaped before I even got to you."

Eramire smiled and opened her mouth to tell her tale but frowned instead. "Wait, where are Nauro and Amara?"

"We got separated when we were attacked by the goblins," Earwen replied, suddenly sober.

"Well, we must go find them," Eramire replied.

Thorindir felt irritation at her exasperated tone. "Well, I'm sorry, but you were our main concern since you were the one captured." Thorindir tried to keep the tightness from his voice but knew he was failing.

Eramire frowned at his harsh tone.

"We will have a better chance of Amara finding us if we stay put," Earwen said, drawing her sister's attention from the elf general.

"And what makes you think so?" Faleon asked, a bemused look on his face as he kept his eyes on Thorindir. The two men had a silent confrontation for a moment.

Earwen frowned at them and replied, "Because we are still on the path we set out on. This is where Amara will head first. Besides, we have no idea where to start looking for them. Our best chance is to wait."

Faleon studied the young elf princess with new interest. "You are very insightful, but you did not account for the fact that the goblins have just lost an exceptionally valuable prisoner. When night falls they will begin scouring the woods for their lost charge. We don't have much time to wait."

"Well, we can't just leave them behind," Earwen replied, turning her gaze to Thorindir, beseeching.

The elf general rubbed the back of his neck. "We will wait until the end of the day. If they are not back by sunset, we must move on."

Earwen looked crestfallen. Eramire looked no happier.

Thorindir sighed and turned back to their campsite. "Well, we have all day. Might as well tell us your story."

Thank you so much for reading!

Please vote and comment if you are enjoying the story. :)