Chapter Thirty-Three: Family Matters

Thorindir stomped through the halls the morning after the dinner meeting to the king's chamber. He hardly acknowledged the guard as he brushed by and flung the door open.

"You know she took it," he said as soon as the door had closed behind him.

"It is astounding how bold you become when there is no one to see, my son. One would think you indeed kept your station as prince."

Thorindir felt his face flush, and he grudgingly kneeled before his father. The king had been sitting at a wide desk, studying some documents. Now he rose and came around to stand before his son kneeling at his feet. "Please rise, Thorindir."

The elf man did so stiffly, and now he could not look into his father's eyes.

"I don't want you pushing your way into this issue. It is between me and your mother."

Thorindir felt his anger resurge. "You are too lenient. How can you tolerate her behavior toward Lady Eramire and Lady Earwen?"

"The same way I tolerate your behavior against me."

Stung, Thorindir turned to leave.

"You will stay and finish this conversation."

"Will you listen to anything I have to say?" said Thorindir

"Perhaps, if it has merit."

Thorindir turned back to see his father settling into a comfortable chair. He motioned for Thorindir to take the one adjacent to him.

"A soldier does not sit with his king in conversation."

The king looked tired and exasperated. "But a son can. Prince or soldier, you are my son, are you not?"

Thorindir sat. "She took it out of spite. Just as she rages against the elf sisters, she is mad with jealousy. Her dislike of Amara is the first thing we have agreed upon in decades."

The king smirked to himself. "Yes, she has always acted without thought, your mother."

"This time it may cost more dearly than we think. If King Breg's last request was for his daughter to find this tome, it must have been of great importance."

Olphan nodded. "I was just going over the letter he sent to me regarding it. He seemed very desperate to have it hidden away."

"What do you suppose Mother did with it?"

"We aren't positive she did anything with it."

Thorindir shot out of his chair in frustration. "What else could have happened?"

Olphan glared up at his son. "A great many things. Perhaps someone stole my stationery and wrote the response."

"You don't really believe that."

"No, I am sure you are right, but getting her to admit it will be another matter."

Thorindir sat back down, leaning forward, hands clasped between his knees. "We need that tome. If it contains information on the moonstones only the rulers of Calathil are supposed to know, it falling into the wrong hands could be catastrophic," he said, then stood and made his way toward the door.

"I will not lose your mother again. We have both lost too much already," Olphan said.

Thorindir's hand was on the door knob.

"You should tell the elf sisters the truth of who you are."

The elf general looked back at his father with a smirk. "You aren't one to speak of truths, Father."