Chapter Fifteen: Allies

Thorindir began to unsheathe his sword but cocked his head, and a broad grin spread over his face. "Groben, is that you?" he called up the hill. A few moments of silence followed, and a tall, dark-haired elf emerged from the tree line, a bow in his hand. He leaned forward as if squinting to see the company better.

He straightened and called, "Thorindir, old friend!" The elf man's voice changed from challenging to cordial.

Thorindir threw his head back and laughed. "What a relief it is to see a familiar face," the elf general called out.

The man beamed and let out a sharp whistle, then strode down the hillside, a dozen warriors appearing in the trees behind him. Recognizing Thorindir and Nauro, all the men flooded down the hill. Thorindir greeted Groben, pounding him on the back. Nauro greeted his friends as well. But everyone sobered quickly when they noticed Amara lying unconscious on the ground.

"Someone is hurt?" asked Groben. Then, looking around at the small company, he remarked, "Where are the others?"

Thorindir's face fell. "We lost many on our way here. Faced an ulund, and Goroth's men fell upon us and drove us into the Aramgan. There will be time to share stories of valor, but I will tell you one thing." He looked around at the elves who had appeared from the trees. "Our fallen friends died bravely, fighting to protect our charges."

Groben nodded in understanding; now was not the time to discuss the loss of the elf soldiers, and for the first time, he noticed the young elf women.

"Your Highnesses, this is Captain Groben." Thorindir gestured to the elf man. "Groben, may I present to you and your company the queen of Calapheran, the Lady Eramire; and her sister, Princess Earwen."

The company of elves bowed respectfully. The sisters nodded from their places by Amara, whose color had come back; however, she remained unconscious.

"We must get her back to Celeblas," Eramire announced.

Thorindir noticed Groben studying the lost princess.

"Who is she?"

Thorindir's mouth opened then closed as he was unsure of what to say.

Earwen stood from where she had been kneeling next to the lost princess. "This is Amara, Princess of Calathil," she said loudly. "She has just saved us from certain death with magic."

Groben's eyes widened in shock, and the whole company bowed again. Thorindir heard the murmuring and met eyes with Eramire. Magic was not often used by humans; the last one to be capable of such power was Goroth. The news would spread like wildfire through the lands—and with it, fear.

"Let us move out; there will be time for talk later," he stammered, trying to distract the elf soldiers from the young woman on the ground. He and Nauro moved forward and placed Amara on Thorindir's white stallion. He jumped up behind her, pulling her against him, making sure she would not fall. She murmured and tried to move away from his touch. Kai whinnied in distress and snorted smoke. But Earwen was quick to quiet him. The elf soldiers eyed him with nervous curiosity.

"I will lead him behind Boreas," Earwen said.

Thorindir frowned. "I do not know if he will be welcome at the stables, Earwen," the elf general said with uncertainty.

Earwen was stroking the nervous kyllaros's nose. "We will lead him to the kingdom and let him free there so he knows where Amara has gone."

Thorindir nodded his assent, not wanting to argue. The rest of the company had mounted their horses, and he nodded to Groben, who called for them to move out. As they continued on through the forest, the trees began to change. Instead of brown trunks with green foliage, the trees began to have tiny silver rivers that traced up their bodies and leaked into their leaves. They were entering the silver wood of Celeblas.

Thank you for reading!

Please vote and comment if you are enjoying the story! :)