Chapter One

Lee kicked at the M.A.L.P. "I thought this planet was uninhabited?"

"It is," Van answered as he surveyed the destroyed M.A.L.P.

"All right, then explain that," she said while pointing at the poor M.A.L.P.

Mal shrugged. "Just because there aren't any people doesn't mean there aren't animals."

"As long as they aren't giant killer squirrels I'm cool with it," she replied.

"It might be worse than a giant squirrel," Van answered as he poked through the wreckage.

"If you tell me some B.S. about a bigger bite radius I'm leaving."

He looked up at Lee. "Unless your giant imaginary creature has opposable thumbs this wasn't done by an animal. This thing was hit by weapon blasts."

Mal cursed. "Great, let's do a little recon and see what we're dealing with."

"Please don't be the Alliance, please don't be the Alliance," Van muttered as they moved away from the Gate.

"We didn't see any sign of a civilization when the M.A.L.P. was sent through the Gate. At least not an active one," Mal commented as they walked across a field toward several structures on the opposite side. They were old and several were falling down.

"Yeah, well we know from past experience that the Alliance will take over places to set up a base of operations." Van looked around as if he expected someone to jump at them from the shadows. "Why are we even out here, I thought Gate travel was still suspended?"

"It was until this morning. Nesrin hasn't attacked anything for two weeks. The General felt it was safe to resume off-world missions." Mal waved a hand around. "Nesrin is the reason we're sticking to exploring uninhabited planets. If she wants to show up and blast things there isn't much for her to destroy."

"Good idea," Lee told him.

"I can't take the credit, it was General Carter's idea." Mal stopped and dropped into a crouch and motioned for them to do the same. He pulled out his spyglass and looked in the distance near the buildings. "Shit, sorry Van, but your prayers won't be answered today."

"Alliance?" Lee asked.

"It would appear so. Let's get back to the Gate and let the General know. We're going to have to get a closer look and see what we're dealing with."

"You think this is one of their bases?" Lee pulled out her own spyglass and surveyed the camp.

Mal shrugged in answer to her question. "Let's get back to the Gate."

They hurried back across the field to the Gate and Van dialed.

"This is Colonel Hughes, we have a little problem."

"What is it, Colonel?" Sam asked.

"We spotted several Alliance soldiers near the structures across the field and the M.A.L.P. has been destroyed."

"I suggest you get back here then."

"No, we want to get a closer look and see what we're dealing with. If it's a small troop then we can probably deal with them. If we've found one of their bases then we'll get our asses home. But I think we need to know why they're here and how many of them there are."

"All right but be careful and check in with us in an hour."

"Thank you, we'll check back in with you in an hour then. Hughes out." He turned to the others. "Let's go."

"This is a bad idea, I'm going on the record right now with that," Van muttered.

"Duly noted and recorded. You're welcome to stay here and guard the Gate," Mal told him.