Chapter Three

Sam folded her arms over her chest. "That isn't good enough. I need answers!"

Rodney shrugged. "Without the 306 to examine we have no idea what went wrong! It's like trying to fix a toaster from 3000 lightyears away! Impossible!"

"I thought for you impossible only takes a few minutes?" She raised her brows.

"Yes, okay, so I might have said that ... at some point. But I'm serious, we have nothing to tell us what happened! All we do know is that he vanished. It can't be done!"

"He vanished after he entered the hyperspace window, Rodney, that certainly can tell you something!"

"Fine, fine, I'll go back and take a look at the data we received from the computer before he vanished." He turned and stomped from the room.

She dropped into the chair behind her desk with a sigh. They needed Colonel Hughes back. The IOA was all over this. They wanted answers. Most of all they wanted to make certain he hadn't been captured and compromised. Dr. Walsh and Captain Kain seemed to be in her office every five minutes asking for news. They had both moved onto the base so they could be here if there were any developments. The radio equipment had been moved from RBA to here so it could be monitored around the clock by SGC personnel. Van and Lee took most of the shifts. Dr. Grayson had to order them to take a break and get some sleep on more than one occasion since the Colonel's disappearance six days ago. Neither paid attention to the doctor.

 Neither paid attention to the doctor

Van looked up at Lee. "Go fish."

"Dammit, I was certain you had some threes in your hand." She took a card from the pile in the center of the table.

"Uh ... you have any jacks?" he asked.

"How do you do that?" She handed over the cards.

"I have a good memory."

They went back and forth for several minutes before Van won. For the eighteenth time in a row.

"Why don't we play something else?" Lee grumbled. "Like poker."

Van snorted. "I'm not an idiot, I don't want to lose my paychecks for the next six months."

"I'm offended that you think I'd take you for that much." She placed a hand over her heart and affected a wounded look. "You're the one who cheats, Mr. I Have A Good Memory."

Van chuckled, stacked the cards and shuffled them. "So now what?"

Her eyes went to the radio. "More waiting."

Van deftly shuffled the cards, cut them, and shuffled them again. He carefully squared the deck so it was all even. "Do you think he's going to come back?"

"Come on, you know Mal, he'll do everything possible to get back here."

Van looked up at her. "Unless he's dead. The hyperspace drive could have malfunctioned and shut down mid-transport."