Chapter One

General Samantha Carter looked up as Rowen Magee of the IOA stepped into her office. Sam knew why she was here and she wanted to get this over with as quickly as possible so her new team could get to work. Rowen smiled pleasantly and took a seat before Sam's desk. Her dark brown hair was twisted up atop her head in an artfully crafted messy bun with curls falling free to frame her face. Despite her five foot one frame, the woman was fierce and one of the IOA's most effective agents. Rowen knew her way around governmental red tape and she took her job seriously. The fact she'd been tasked with overseeing Stargate Command was testament to her ability to deal with anything that was thrown her way.

As a general and commander of the SGC, Sam knew she could handle whatever the IOA agent could throw her way. She hadn't been chosen for this command because of her devastating good looks, she was chosen because she was a good commander. Jack would disagree, he'd tell her it was because of her big, beautiful brain. She allowed herself a small smile at that thought. The moment he'd decided to retire he told her he was no longer her superior officer so he was free to tell her she was the most beautiful woman he'd ever met and ask her out to dinner, and that is exactly what he did. It mattered little to him she spent most of her life in fatigues or that her blond hair was cut short, those were things he loved and she loved him in return. Even if he never understood a word she said when expounding on scientific wonders.

She cleared her throat and shoved the personnel folders across her desk to Rowen "These are the best candidates for the new team."

"You're certain?"

"Yes, I spent a lot of time on it and these are my choices for the new SG-1 team. I wanted to be certain I chose the right candidates for the flagship team. It's about time we had a new SG-1 team, it's been too long."

Rowen pulled the folders closer and flipped open the first one. "Colonel Malachy Hughes. He has the clearance. He has a decent record, but tends to make decisions without seeking approval from his commanding officers before acting. He's been reprimanded by superiors several times. Do you believe it's a good idea to choose a soldier who continuously questions his superior officers?"

"I can deal with it, I need someone who can think on their feet and make decisions when consulting command may not be an option. It happens in the field more than I'd like to think about."

Rowen slapped the folder closed with a small nod. "I suppose you would know."

"Indeed, I would." As one of the original members of SG-1 she understood exactly what it meant to be off-world, out of touch with command, and facing a perilous situation where a split second decision was needed to keep the team alive.

"All right, who's next?" She grabbed the next folder in the stack. "Captain Leonore Kain. Good, clean record. She doesn't have the clearance for the program however."

"No, she doesn't, but I don't see a problem with getting her the clearance. Her brother, Oliver, is part of the Atlantis team. He has the Ancient gene so I think it's a fair bet she does as well since they're twins. She's smart and she can act quickly."

Rowen frowned. "She's never seen combat."

"She hasn't, but she's worked in war zones, even if she wasn't on the front lines. She's defended outposts in the Middle East from insurgents, as I said, she's a quick thinker and a problem solver."

"All right. Okay, last folder. Only three selections?" she asked with an arched brow.

"There were no other candidates I felt fit the program. If one appears on the horizon I'll let you know." Sam smiled.

Rowen nodded absently and opened the last folder. "Dr. Evander Walsh, archeologist and linguist. He subscribes to Dr. Jackson's theory about Egypt and aliens." Rowen glanced up at her. "I suppose you think that's a good thing?"