Chapter Three

The communications officer looked at Sheppard. "Colonel, we're picking up a distress signal."

Sheppard nodded. "Let's drop out of hyperspace and check it out. Get Colonel Hughes up here, if it's an Alliance ship he would likely recognize it."

"No need, we're here," Mal said as he and the rest of SG-1 stepped onto the bridge. "We thought we'd come up and see if there was anything we could assist with while we're here, Van has destroyed us one too many times at poker, we need something else to do." He grinned at Sheppard. "So, what's going on?"

"We've picked up a distress signal and we're going to check it out."

"Are you sure that's wise?"

Sheppard shrugged. "We're near the edge of the Pegasus galaxy so I doubt we'll run into anyone way out here who wants to do us harm. But just in case, I think it would be wise for you to be here, you know the Alliance ships better than anyone."

"You'll pardon me if I maintain a certain amount of skepticism," Mal replied.

The ship dropped out of hyperspace and they spotted a ship just ahead of them.

Mal cursed. "Shields and weapons, now!"

"Colonel, the last time I checked I was in charge here," Sheppard said. He looked around the room. "Right, I am in charge?"

Mal pointed at the ship. "That is an Alliance ship. More precisely, it is Nesrin's ship."

"Right, you heard the man, shields and—" The ship was rocked by several blasts. "Shields, now!"

"Yes, sir. Shields are up but we only have fifty percent power. We have damage on multiple levels, sir. Several lower decks have been sealed due to hull breaches."

"Weapons?"

"We have some weapons control, sir, but only the railguns are responding. The Asgard plasma weapons are inoperative."

"Use what you have," Sheppard commanded. The ship shuddered as the shields were hit again. "Colonel Hughes, I suggest you get your team off the ship now. If the Alliance is this close to Pegasus it proves they're an issue Atlantis needs to know about."

"We can't abandon you and your crew, sir," Lee said.

"We can handle ourselves, Captain. There's a bay full of 302s, get your asses to Atlantis however you can and fill them in. We'll do our best to kick their asses and follow."

"Are you sure?" Mal asked.

"Go before it's too late. If we can't beat them we'll jump and head for Atlantis."

"Yes, sir." Lee grabbed Van and hurried from the bridge.

Elias came running onto the bridge. "What the hell is going on?"

"We're under attack," Sheppard told him. "I thought that much was obvious, Mr. Albrecht."

"Sir, we're going to lose shields soon. We can't take many more hits. The hyperdrive is offline, we can't jump."

"Colonel Hughes, get going!" Sheppard shouted.

"Good luck," Mal said before he turned and left the bridge at a run. He stopped once on the way to retrieve his pack from his room because it contained all the information on the Alliance they needed to give to the teams stationed on Atlantis. It wasn't until he was almost to the bay where the 302s were that he realized Elias had caught up to him and was following him. "Where the hell do you think you're going?"

"With you!"

"Hell, no, stay on board."

"I'm important, if the Alliance gets their hands on me it would be a problem!"