Chapter Two

Mal grabbed his radio. "Atlas, we've completed the mission, ready to go."

"Sorry, Colonel, still a little busy up here. Your bestie has arrived," Sheppard replied.

"Nesrin?"

"Yup, she arrived a few minutes ago and the lady knows how to make a hell of an entrance."

Mal cursed. "We're going to have to try and get back through the Gate." Several blasts struck the ground not far from them. "Okay, maybe we just need to lay low for a little bit."

"SG-1, this is Helios, standby for transport. We'll get you out of there."

"Thank you, Colonel," Mal replied to Mitchell. There was a flash of light and they appeared on the bridge of the Helios.

"Make yourselves comfortable, SG-1, we need to help Atlas out." Cam turned and gave commands to his crew. "Let's blast some of those Alliance ships to bits."

"Yes, sir."

The ship moved to intercept one of the Alliance ships that was attempting to move up on the Atlas.

Nesrin slapped her hand against the console

Nesrin slapped her hand against the console. "Why are all of you continuing to pose as idiots when I know you're fully capable of accomplishing the tasks I give you? We outnumber them four to one, why are we losing?" she screamed. "Our ships are superior, our weapons are superior, we should be winning!"

There were murmured agreements to her shouting but no one answered directly or looked at her.

Nesrin cursed when another of their ships was destroyed by one of the Earth vessels. This battle was going poorly. She hated the soldiers from Earth, they were destroying all of her plans. This wasn't how it was supposed to go, she was supposed to win. She had made the Alliance into a formidable force and she was not going to allow SG-1 to ruin everything.

"Do we know where SG-1 is?" she snarled.

"No, ma'am, they were on the planet but they vanished. We think they may be on one of the Earth ships."

"You think?"

"Sorry, Nesrin, but we can't be certain."

She stomped over, thrust her knife into the man's back then stalked back to her seat. "Someone take over that idiot's station!" She cursed when another of their ships exploded. "Get us out of here before we lose the rest of our fleet, goddammit!"

"Yes, Nesrin."

"And tell the rest of the fleet to retreat. We can't afford to lose anyone else!"

"They're retreating," one of the flight crew announced

Mal grinned. "We have them on the run, that's a good thing. I'd call this a victory."

"Even if we didn't get to blow Nesrin to bits," Lee said with a grin.

"Yes, even if she got away." Mal rolled his eyes.

"Let's get back home," Cameron said.

"Yes, sir, course set."

Cam turned a smile on SG-1. "Why don't you go and make yourselves comfortable, we have a bit before we get home."

"Yes, sir." Lee threw him a salute then led the way off the bridge of the Helios.

"Welcome home, SG-1, how did the mission go?" Sam asked as they entered the briefing room

"We successfully destroyed the Kassa."

"And several of the Alliance ships," Lee added.

Mal nodded. "Yes, and several of their ships. Unfortunately, Nesrin escaped us again."

"Can I add something?" Van asked.

"Yes, Dr. Walsh, what is it?"

"There were a lot of Alliance ships there. Nesrin knew they had one hell of an opportunity to wipe us out so she brought a lot of people."

"And?" Mal asked.

"And, if most of the Alliance was there, why wasn't Xanth's ship there?"

Sam frowned. "Are you certain he wasn't there?"

He nodded. "Yes, I've taken the time to memorize the Alliance ships as we come across them. Trust me, Xanth's ship wasn't there."

"So, that begs the question, why would she leave her most important Second out of the loop?" Sam asked.

"Maybe she sent him to handle something else," Mal answered.

"That's a possibility. We need to keep our eyes open."

"Ears too," Lee said cheerfully.

Sam laughed. "Yes, ears too, Captain."

"Did anyone consider the possibility she has sent Xanth to push up some daisies since we fingered him as our informant?" Van asked.

Sam looked thoughtful for a moment. "It's always a possibility." She stood. "All right, excellent work. We'll keep an eye out for the Alliance. Dismissed."

They watched her go.

Lee slapped the table. "We did good."

"Yes, I wish we'd been able to get rid of Nesrin," Mal replied.

"Well, ya can't win them all, Colonel. Right?"

He grinned at her. "No, you can't. All right, I am going to go take a very long nap. I think it's deserved after all that crop burning."

Van grinned. "I agree."

Lee sighed. "I guess that sounds like a decent idea."

Mal grinned. "Good night, Captain, Doctor."