Chapter Three

Lee nudged Mal awake. "It's been twenty-four hours and no contact. I think it's safe to say they aren't going to try to dial in and contact us."

Mal pulled himself up to sit against the tree. "I'm sure my brother had something to do with that."

She nodded. "Yeah, I'm sure he did. I suppose that means we're on our own."

"Perfect and still no plan."

"I'm working on it."

He sighed. "Face it, Captain, we're stuck here with no way out."

"You really are negative, you know that?" She scowled at him. "Stop jinxing us."

He snorted. "I'm not superstitious."

"Well, I am so you'll have to live with it." She stared at the Gate and the cannons, as she'd been doing for the last four hours. Their biggest problem was those cannons. If they could get rid of them it would make things a whole lot easier. "I think I have an idea, it isn't a stellar one but it's an idea."

"I know I'm going to hate this but tell me anyway."

"I still have the Alliance uniform, it's nearly dark so I doubt those guys will take much note of me if I slip quietly closer to the Gate and slap some C4 on those cannons."

"And you don't think they'll notice a block of C4 stuck to their precious cannons?"

"Hey, I said it wasn't stellar. Look, if you have a better idea I'm all ears, Colonel."

"Fine, go then, give me the P90 and I'll cover you from here if it becomes necessary."

"Here you go, I'm going to change back into the uniform then I'll head down there." She slipped behind a tree and changed quickly. She returned to where Mal sat and dropped her pack beside him. "It's too bad we didn't have time to get your stuff, at least we'd both have radios." She dug the C4 from her pack. "I'm going to set the timers for three minutes."

"You think three is enough?"

She shrugged. "All I can do is hope. I don't want to give them time to discover the C4."

"Good luck, Captain. Don't fail because I don't want to be left here alone." He shouldered her pack and got ready to cover her.

"Pessimistic as you are, you'd stay right here and die because you think every plan will fail." She left him with a grin.

This wasn't going to be easy and there was a better than sixty percent chance she'd fail and they'd either kill her or capture her. How she decided that was what her odds were, she didn't know but that's what she was going with. As she neared the Gate she kept her head down and moved slowly until she was near the first cannon. Two men stood nearby talking quietly and sharing an occasional chuckle over something. She moved quietly through the darkness, stopped beside the cannon, waited a moment, then dropped to one knee beside it as if she were tying her boot, and stuck the C4 to the side and started the timer. She moved quickly to where the other cannon was set up and paused when she spotted the man standing near it. This guy took his job seriously, he wasn't going to allow himself to be distracted, he stared out over the dark landscape ready to fire on anything that moved. They needed both cannons taken out or they'd never make it through the Gate. She sidled closer and the man sent her a look before he refocused ahead of him so he could keep watch.

She didn't have much longer before the first C4 went off. This was going to be close. She reset the timer on the C4 she still held and moved closer to the second cannon.

The man flinched and then spun in the direction of the first cannon when it exploded in a spectacular ball of flames.

Lee ran forward, dropped and slapped the C4 on the cannon, started the timer and took off running back toward the trees. She was thrown from her feet when the second C4 exploded.