Chapter One

Lee followed Van into the briefing room. General Carter was sitting at the table waiting for them. "Ma'am, why are we here? Colonel Hughes is still suspended, SG-1 is on standby."

"Not anymore you aren't," she replied.

Lee grinned. "Does that mean Mal, I mean the Colonel, is off suspension?"

"Unfortunately, no. He's suspended until further notice. Mr. Albrecht wasn't pleased by my little word play on the suspension order. He's issued his own order demanding Colonel Hughes remain on full suspension, preventing him from going on any mission of any type until further notice. You're here so I can introduce you to your new commander."

"No offense, General, but we'd rather sit on our butts and wait for Colonel Hughes to return to active duty," Lee replied.

"I'm sorry, but I can't keep SG-1 on the back burner for long. I need you out there, Captain."

"Yes, ma'am."

The general beckoned someone forward. "Colonel Sandford."

They turned to the man who stepped into the room and took a seat at the table. "General Carter."

"Captain Kain, Dr. Walsh, this is Colonel Sandford. He will be in temporary command of SG-1 until Colonel Hughes is cleared to return to duty." She tossed folders on the table. "Your mission today will be to P9C-615. Initial M.A.L.P. telemetry shows breathable atmosphere and a thriving civilization some distance from the Gate. You have a go. Dismissed." She rose and left the room.

Colonel Sandford rose from his seat and focused on them. "I understand your reluctance to accept me as commander of SG-1, you want to remain loyal to Colonel Hughes, but know this if at any time you do not follow an order I've given I will report you to General Carter. I will run this team by the book. If you want to skirt the line then I will report you. Is that understood?"

"Yes, sir," Lee replied and threw him a salute.

"Be in the Gate room in fifteen minutes." He spun away and left them.

"And if we aren't I'm sure he'll report us," Lee muttered. "I have never missed Colonel Hughes more."

"I'll second that," Van replied.

"Let's go before Colonel Sand-up-his-ass reports us."

Van giggled. "That was good."

"I thought so."

They went to gather their gear and then headed to the Gate room. Colonel Sandford was waiting for them when they arrived.

"Chevron seven is locked. Wormhole established."

Colonel Sandford stepped past them and started up the ramp. "Let's move, SG-1!"

Lee and Van followed him reluctantly. When Lee looked back she saw Mal standing in the control room watching as they departed. She stopped, turned to face him, and saluted.

"Captain, is there a problem?" Sandford called.

"No, sir."

"Then let's move it."

She sent a nod to Mal and followed Sandford and Van through the Gate.