Chapter Three

Mal walked several meters in front of Lee and Van mostly because he was tired of hearing about how fabulous the celebration was last evening. It had been entertaining and the food was excellent, but he was tired of hearing about it. Especially when Van launched into long dissertations about the town's culture and religion.

They'd succeeded in making friends and Visna told them they were welcome back whenever they wished to visit. It was a start for them. Proof they could do this job effectively. That had been his biggest worry going into this, that he'd fail and have to go back to his old position with the Air Force. That was something he didn't want. After his last ... disagreement with his superior officer about procedure, he'd been forced into a desk job until he could, quote, find the will within him to follow the orders he was given.

When the order came for him to report to the Cheyenne Mountain Complex he thought he was going to be shuffled into some file room deep in the mountain where he'd never be heard from again. He was relieved when General Carter said he'd been chosen for the Stargate Program and he'd be a team leader. He glanced back at Kain and Evander. He had a good team, even if Lee seemed to think everything was an opportunity for a joke and Evander was a little too worried about the fact he wasn't anything like Dr. Jackson. They worked well together.

He stopped near the DHD and waited for them to catch up.

"Thank goodness, it's time to go home!" Van grinned.

"And here I thought you were having so much fun," Mal replied.

"The squirrel hunting was not fun, but the celebration was enjoyable and I learned so much."

"Dial us home, Doctor."

Van happily dialed the Gate. Once the wormhole was established they waited several seconds to be certain the SGC received their IDC then stepped through the Gate. It took a moment for the IDC signal to reach the other end and for them to receive the returning signal that told them whether they had a go to step through the Gate. If they stepped through too soon they'd slam into the iris that covered the event horizon and end up very dead.

They stepped through when they received the go signal and emerged on the other end.

"Welcome home, SG-1," General Carter said over the PA.

Mal looked up at the window above the Gate room where the control room was and waved to her. She returned the wave.

Van wandered past him. "I have no idea how to write a mission report that includes the words giant killer squirrel without it sounding like a bad sci-fi movie."

"You'll figure it out."

"I'm not the only one who has to figure it out, Colonel," Van told him with a grin before he left the Gate room.

Mal sighed and followed him out. Lee was several steps behind him.

"Yes, and I get to explain how wonderful it was to be squirrel bait."

He turned and walked backward down the corridor. "Exceptionally brave bait," he said before he turned back around.

"Fine, exceptionally brave bait then," she said with a laugh.

"I'll give you that one, Captain."