Chapter One

Nesrin stood, her hands clasped behind her back and waited until Nolan stood before her.

"You wanted to see me, Nesrin?"

"Yes, I did. It seems you have not been doing your job properly."

He stood straighter. "Who has made such an accusation? You have all of my reports! I've been overseeing all of the Kassa production faithfully!"

"I do have all your reports and it occurred to me that the yield for the farms on Spriet are much lower than any from the other planets where we are growing Kassa."

"They can't be," he protested.

"And yet, they are by nearly a half an acre per farm. It adds up. I've done a little investigation and do you know what I found, Nolan?"

His Adam's apple bobbed as he swallowed hard. "No."

"The farmers have been keeping a portion of what they grow and selling it. They've been making a profit off of our product. We pay them well enough to use their land and still they steal from us!"

"I'll take care of it immediately, Nesrin!"

"It's a little late for you to handle things! I find it difficult to believe you knew nothing about this! Were they giving you a portion of their profits?"

"I swear I had no idea they would dare to do such a thing. I know nothing about it!"

"This has been allowed to spiral out of control for too long. You will no longer oversee the Kassa crops. In fact, you are no longer one of my Seconds."

"Please, I'll make it up to you! I'll handle it, I swear!"

"Yes, you will make it up to me." She stepped forward to stop inches from him. "With your blood." One hand whipped out from behind her back, the knife grasped in her fist flashed in the light as it came around and slashed his throat open. "Goodbye, Nolan. I would say you were an adequate Second, but that would be a lie. Clean this up!" she snapped at two soldiers guarding the doors to her quarters.

She retreated to the far side of the room and stared out the window for several minutes.

"Nesrin, Keziah has arrived," one of the men told her.

"Send her in." She turned away from the window and sent Keziah a smile when she entered the room. "Ah, Kez, how are you?"

"I'm fine, thank you Nesrin. How may I serve the Alliance today?"

"Nolan has been a disappointment. He has been removed and I need someone new to oversee the Kassa growth. I want that person to be you."

"Thank you. I won't let you down."

Nesrin nodded and eyed Kez. She was a good Second, appropriately subservient, while still holding a ruthless streak that allowed her to do her job. She came from a planet of warrior women who ruled over their men. She was tall, much taller even than some of the men in the Alliance. Her blond hair was held back in a braid that trailed to her waist and her green eyes were full of intelligence. Kez was a good choice to replace Nolan.

"The farmers on Spriet have been stealing from us," Nesrin informed her.

"I'll handle it immediately."

Nesrin shook her head. "No, I'll handle it. An example needs to be made. I'd like you to go to the rest of the planets and check in with them. Do an inspection and make certain no one else has gotten it into their head that we will put up with such behavior. They're paid well for the use of their land, we owe them nothing more. If you find anyone else stealing from us I want to know who and how much they've stolen and I will dictate the punishment."

"Yes, Nesrin. I'll leave immediately."

"Don't disappoint me, Kez."

She bowed. "I swear I won't."

Nesrin watched her leave and she looked to her guards. "As soon as Keziah's ship is clear, set a course for Spriet."

"Yes, ma'am." The man hurried away from the door.

She wasn't going to allow them to get away with this. She'd make an example of the people on Spriet. No one was going to steal from her and get away with it. She'd make certain of it.

Nesrin stepped off the ship and strode toward the small village

Nesrin stepped off the ship and strode toward the small village. Her bright red hair shown in the sunlight. Her stride was purposeful, she wasn't here for a happy little visit. People stepped out of their homes as she walked through the street and watched her pass, her aim was the house of the headman of the village. He came out with a wide grin on his face.

"Nesrin, what a pleasure to see you. To what do we owe the honor of your visit this day?"

The smile she gave him was pleasant. "Hello, Netu. I assure you this visit is not a pleasure for me."

The smile fell from his face. "I don't understand. Was there an issue with the last crop delivery?"

"Mmm, you could say that. It would appear that the last several shipments have been short by quite a bit."

"That's impossible, I assure you."

"I see." She clasped her hands behind her back with a small nod. "And is it also impossible that you've been selling Kassa in the market on Utrora?" She noted that he paled slightly at her words.

"I assure you that we haven't."

She turned to her men. "Bring him!"

Her guards turned and gestured to another set of soldiers and they dragged a protesting man forward. "Please, I've done nothing wrong!" the man shouted. He went silent when he spotted Nesrin standing with Netu.

Nesrin smiled sweetly at Netu. "I believe you know this gentleman. He works for you, yes? Lives in this village?"

Netu swallowed, shook his head then nodded, then shook his head again. "You see ... it's ..."

Nesrin held up a hand. "What I see is theft. You knew the rules when we struck this agreement. Your people are paid well to grow for us. You have broken our agreement."

"We'll pay the Alliance back," Netu insisted.

"Oh, my poor, dear man, it's much too late for that now. Goodbye, Netu." She spun around and stepped past her men. "Burn everything to the ground and kill them all."

"Wait, please, Nesrin!" Netu called. "There are families here, women and children!"

She paused and turned to look at him. "You should have thought about protecting them before you stole from me." She ignored his further shouted protestations and left her men to their work.