Chapter Two

Mal and Rhett watched the shimmering surface of the event horizon. After several minutes passed, the Gate deactivated and Rhett cursed. He looked up at the control room. "What happened?"

"I don't know, sir."

"Dial the planet back. Now!"

"Yes, sir, dialing."

Mal paced while they waited for the Gate to dial. When it connected he breathed a sigh of relief.

Rhett grabbed his radio. "Dr. Kain, Captain Kain, please respond."

"Rhett, is that you?"

"Yes, Oliver it is. What's your status?"

"Well, we're hiding from the Wraith in a cozy little cave. The DHD was hit and the Gate disconnected before we could get through. We're going to wait until dark and then go take a look at it and see if it can be fixed. If it can't then we're in big trouble."

"Dr. Kain, this is Dr. Myers, we'll work on finding an alternative way to get you both home. We'll check in with you in the morning. Atlantis out." The Gate disengaged.

Mal stared at it. He should be back there with them. He should have forced the Captain to go through the Gate first.

"This is why you shouldn't be in command. You allowed Captain Kain and her brother to be stranded on a planet where there is threat of a Wraith attack." Elais sent Cal a glare. "And you should lock out their IDCs to prevent the Wraith from getting into Atlantis."

Cal snorted and shook his head.

Rhett sent Elias a glare. "No one knew the Wraith were there, as far as anyone knew that planet was uninhabited. You can't blame Colonel Hughes for this anymore than you can blame me. Dr. Kain is a part of my team. No one could have known the DHD was going to be hit by weapons fire."

Mal sent his brother a glare, turned and stalked away.

"You should be careful who you support, Colonel Dawson, because Hughes is a timebomb, it's only a matter of time before he explodes. Whoever is nearby will be caught in the blast. I'm certain you don't want to be collateral damage." He spun away and hurried off before Rhett could respond.

"I don't like that man," Wynnie muttered.

Van snorted. "You are not alone. I have yet to find anyone that likes the guy."

She hooked her arm through Van's. "Come on, I want to show you some of the fascinating things we've found on some of the planets we've visited."

"That sounds wonderful!" He looked at Rhett. "You will let me know when you try to contact Lee and Oliver?"

"Yes, of course."

"Thank you!"

Rhett sent a look back at the Gate and sighed.

"Don't worry, we'll get them back, Colonel."

He nodded. "Thank you, Dr. Myers, I hope you're right."

"If you think I'm going to let that bastard from the IOA badger me into leaving them there you're wrong," Cal told him

"I never thought you would."

"Can you believe that fool wanted me to lock out their IDCs?"

Rhett snorted. "They haven't even been gone an hour."

"I'm going to do everything in my power to get them back."