24 ⭑ What makes you happy?

Start from the beginning

"I love you too."

The phone hung up and he set it back on the table before sniffling up his tears.

To my surprise, Harlow didn't push me off but instead grabbed the back of my thighs, nearly making me flinch and then pulled me up higher. My head was rested in his neck instead and he even pulled the blanket over us again. He held both hands onto my back and rested his head onto mine unsurely and hesitantly. Just like I had.

He smelled good that was for sure, but I was just about to get up? What the hell was I supposed to do about it now?

A phone rang on the bedside table before I could figure it out, but that time it was mine.

I knew because Kristen had programmed a Kim Possible beep as the ringtone.

I opened my eyes but froze when Harlow grabbed it.

Wh-

"Hello?"

Did he just freakin' answer my phone?

"Oh, you." Harlow scoffed. "You have some nerve calling Cherry's phone after you ditched her."

Ditched me? Who could he be-oh no. No, no, no, no, no.

I needed to get up.

Why Jess would call was unimportant but if he wanted to apologize then it was my apology to accept!

Get up goddammit! Get up!

Lord, I was so weak.

"Do I know where she is? Yeah, she's sleeping right on top of me actually." Harlow chuckled, lowering his voice a little. "No, no... not gonna happen. You realize you hurt her right? You invited her on her first ever date and then fucking blew her off? I'm an asshole - yeah - well it seems like you're a bigger one. Yeah, she is. Yeah, you're not wrong but - Oh, I'd watch the tone there, Jessie."

I gulped and tried to steady my breathing but my heart only raced faster. He probably knew I was awake-there was no way he didn't know I was awake, right?

"If she wants to go on another date with you that's her choice, I'm not her boyfriend. No, fuck no I'm not. She's not property she's a person but I'll tell you what." He said in an annoyed tone. "She cut her hair for you, she broke a lot of family rules for you, she planned out her outfit, she spent time sitting in her room probably giddy with excitement over your date, we both know that's how she is. Imagine her disappointment after finding out her knight in shining armor was a fucking coward with no decency to call until the next evening. Don't lie - I do know that you haven't called because she's been with me all day."

Oh...

"Go cry to your mum, mate I really don't fucking care." He said and I could tell he was gesturing with his hands because it slapped right back down onto my back to gently rub it. "Be my guest. Fuck off."

Harlow scoffed and tossed the phone down onto the bed, whispering 'fuckin' wanker' to himself, whatever that means.

Had he just defended me? Was that what that was? It sounded like it.

I mean, I was not happy with Jess in the slightest, and ditching someone wasn't cool but the last person I ever expected to come to my defense was Harlow.

First the cuddling, now that? Was he having that much of an off day?

Man, I really needed to leave before he decided to scream at me again. I didn't trust his off days.

So I waited for about five more minutes, and then pretended like I'd just woken up, inhaling a big, deep breath.

Harlow took his hand off my back in an instant and when I picked my head up, I didn't realize we'd be on the verge of kissing with how close our faces were.