Chapter sixty-one

"Where are you going?"

"Taking Cliff for a walk," Louis responded, emerging from the closet, donning a pair of gray sweatpants over a simple jumper. He stifled a giggle at the sight of Cliff trotting behind Louis, hot on his trail, tail wagging constantly. "You two seem to have formed a close bond." He commented noncommittally, snuggling under the duvet until the edge of the bed linen was nudging the underside of his chin. "No. He's just due for his daily walk, and I don't want him to tire you out." Louis huffed before explaining, a tone as soft as the muted sound of light rain. "Tire me out?" His indignation barely lasted for a second, exhaustion taking over his body, leaving drowsiness in its wake. "Sleep." He could effortlessly hear the eye roll in Louis' voice, and as endearing as it was, Harry couldn't help but salivate more at the thought of a blissful slumber than Louis being adorably annoyed.

"We'll be back before you know it." He settled for a nod of his head. "Can you bring some cupcakes on your way back?" He asked before Louis could leave the room, staring at the alpha with expectant eyes. "The strawberry ones?" He thought over it before responding with a quiet affirmative. "Remember we're leaving for home tonight." He nodded again, a little solemnly because it wasn't fair. They were supposed to visit the city vicinity of Ashville for the next two days, but Louis just had to cut their time short here; something about wanting to get back to Burgeon as soon as possible since his work here was done, and he needed to finish up some work back home. "Do you want me to get you anything from the city?"

"No." He snorted.

"How about I bring potted sea-lavenders for your greenhouse back home? Think they'd bring the whole vibe you need—"

"They would probably look so out of place, y'know? Ugly amidst all my pretty flowers." Clearly disgruntled, Louis narrowed his eyes at him, "I don't know why you have this sudden aversion to any kind of flower, especially to harmless, sweet little sea-lavenders." He didn't have anything against statices, it was just a thing he had picked up on through which he could pull at Louis' chain. It was fun to have Louis all squinted eyes, and pinched brows. Besides, there was no way Louis would just randomly know the name of any flower —he had every intention of getting to the base of this miraculous incident that had happened earlier. "How do you even know the flowers you were plucking out are sea-lavenders?"

Louis threw him a look, full of pride and minute disbelief. "I'll have you know I know the name of every flower out there."

"Louis, you thought yellow daffodils were just poorly-executed sunflowers." Louis' complacent exterior broke a little, faltering, Louis opened his mouth, presumably to counter with yet another of his sarcastic remarks that would never make any sort of sense to him. "I was a little uneducated back then." If it was possible, then Harry's heart would have definitely melted at the tone of the alpha's voice, and the unmasked expression painting his features, devoid of any cockiness or just the usual essence of Louis. "I bet sea-lavender is the only name you remembered from whatever website you were browsing." The indignant frown on the alpha's face augmented, brows pinching together; adorably vexed, truly.