Chapter fifteen

"The full moon is approaching

"The full moon is approaching."

The blue-eyed alpha nodded mindlessly, paying no mind to what his mother was babbling about, as he focused on the computer screen in front of him. "And everyone is asking why you still haven't mated Harry. Louis, you know that your father and I have given you enough freedom and time, and it has been two months since your wedding, and you haven't even shown up on the last two full moons. You are not setting a good example, I'll let you know that."

A soft sigh pushed past his lips, maybe, he had been stalling the idea of mating too much now. "You do know, my rut was just like one month back, and besides, that boy hasn't even had his first heat yet," Louis answered matter-of-factly, reclining back in the large swivel chair. "It's not even about mating anymore, Louis. You don't even bring Harry in any pack ceremonies. You keep him cooped up in that small god-forsaken cottage, and-and he needs to socialize more with the pack, if he is going to step up as the Luna of the pack, someday."

"I am doing just what I was taught." He responded stiffly, jaw clenching perceptibly.

"You're doing nothing— absolutely nothing!" Her voice went a few octaves higher like it always did whenever she was furious.

"Hey!" The five-year-old chirped, blue eyes twinkling with enthusiasm as he perched himself beside the sweet-smelling brunette. The girl with pretty black eyes peered up at him shyly, a bashful smile tugging up at her thin lips. "Hi." Her voice was sugary, just like the rest of her saccharine and striking.

"I am Louis, but my friends call me Lewis, though, you cannot call me Lewis, because my real name's Louis. They just like to make fun of me, that's it." He snapped himself out of his long-winded introduction when the smaller girl giggled behind her tiny hands. "You're not like my other friends." He observed loudly, eyes narrowing slightly as the enthusiasm he had been feeling previously, tapered down.

"You remind me of my mummy."

He further added before he raised his bony shoulders in a nonchalant shrug. "Doesn't matter. At least, you smell nice, unlike Leeyum. He literally smells like smelly cats." He scrunched his nose up to display his distaste, eyes crinkling proudly when the girl laughed again.

"Wanna play footie?" He arched an eyebrow in question, standing up from the wooden bench. "No. I don't know how to play it." She shook her head, looking rather dejected as she hunched her shoulders. A frown overtook his features, not liking the way he made his new friend feel sad. "It's fine. We can play on the slides if you want?" He suggested, smiling when the girl's face lit up in sheer excitement.

"C'mon then! Race you to the ladder!" He yelled, already running ahead of her, laughing loudly when he heard her muffled protests about him being unfair.

Louis never saw her again after that day.

"Exactly." The other line went silent, and it didn't take rocket science for Louis to know just how sensitive nerve he had chosen to hit.