Chapter fourteen

The rest of the day did not go as Louis had planned in his head. Harry had fallen asleep against his chest, arms wrapped around him in a vice grip. Eventually, Louis had to text Niall that he had taken the day off and that they could work on the case later on. Louis stayed still, arms limp by his sides as he watched the sun set below the horizon, obscuring the white clouds in hues of orange and fuchsia.

He glanced downwards when Harry shifted in his place, the boy letting out a content hum as he nuzzled his nose against his scent gland. Louis exhaled softly, watching quietly as the green-eyed boy stirred awake, yet making no move to raise his head up. The nest smelt heavily of the omega, and in a way the saccharine scent made him forget all about his work troubles. Louis was never a believer of how omega or their scents anchored an alpha's rage. Alphas and omegas worked together quite perfectly, like two missing pieces of a puzzle, or maybe, like the sun and moon.

The sun radiated warmth and light the whole day, but when the harsh rays of light got too much, came around the serene illumination of the moon that provided just a thin layer of brightness that obscured complete darkness. Still, the moon was often considered better than the sun. Only because no one liked being under the angry rays of the sun all the time, and the moon provided just the tinge of a lovely illumination that every human desired. Packs worked in the same way. Even though an alpha was the important element of the pack, no one liked being under their angry 'I-am-the-alpha' selves all the time. Omegas provided just the necessary tinge of warmth and love to the pack, like the moon did to the earth.

"Are you hungry?" Louis asked, trying to keep his voice soft lest scaring the poor boy. Luck was not on his side, he had his overly hoarse, raspy voice for an attestation. Harry moved a bit, now peering up at him from where he was resting against his bare chest contently. The omega's eyes were squinted and glossy with sleep presumably. They were a shade darker, the lighter green that Louis had gotten used to, was now a rich shade of viridian with just a tiny dash of golden speckled around the circumference of his irises.

The boy nodded hesitantly, a soft yawn pushing past his pink lips. Louis frowned, Harry still looked tired, his features sewn with exhaustion and stupor. "I-I will make something up real quick," Harry mumbled softly, pushing his nose against the alpha's clavicle subconsciously. "Don't bother. We can order pizza or something." The blue-eyed alpha responded without giving it much thought.

"No. Can't eat greasy food whilst heat is approaching," Harry whispered, eyes fluttering with each syllable. Louis could feel each flutter of his lashes against his throat, and the alpha could definitely not help gulping at the propinquity between them, and now, that they were both conscious (half-conscious in Harry's case, but it was better than being stark unconscious), it felt surreal. He was sharing a nest with an omega, he— the alpha who had never been allowed to get near a non-family, unmated omega all his life.

It would ruin the truce.

Him getting near an omega would tear apart the whole pact, and wars would ensue. No alpha was immune to an omega's charm, and according to his parents, he was no exception. He would ruin the pact with his stupid alpha pheromones and possibly knock up an omega who he would have considered his mate back then.