Chapter five

"How are you, baby? Settled in nicely?" The soft voice of his mother broke through the phone, somehow calming him down from within

"How are you, baby? Settled in nicely?" The soft voice of his mother broke through the phone, somehow calming him down from within. "Yes, I am." He answered quietly, puffing out a breath as he rolled over, lying supine on the king-sized bed. "Yeah? How has Louis been treating you? Do I need to come over and have a proper talk with him on how to treat my son nicely?" The sudden bunch of questions thrown at him made him giggle slightly.

"No need to worry, momma. I am all fine." Harry responded, blinking up at the ceiling, hands stuffed behind his head, his teeth nibbling on the flesh of his lower lip. His phone vibrated slightly on his stomach when his mother let out a little laugh. "Okay, if you say so." She sounded unconvinced, but still changed the topic nonetheless. Harry let out a tiny sigh of relief, closing his eyes as he listened to his mother go on and on about the number of flowers the pack had grown this month.

He let the soft voice of his mother lull him, letting himself be pulled into the pitless abyss of sleep.

When he opened his eyes again, the room was dark — a little too dark for his liking. He instantly scrambled up to his feet, cursing through gritted teeth when his phone fell from the bed with a soft thud. He crouched down to pick up his phone which was, thankfully, not broken. He checked the time on his phone, gnawing at his lip anxiously when the numbers glared at him tauntingly. Almost as if reminding him of the mistake he had made.

It was half past nine, meaning Louis had already arrived from work long before. Harry had not even started preparing dinner, and Louis had the habit of eating at eight sharp. It had been two weeks since Louis had left him alone at the supermarket, not giving two thoughts about how Harry might not have the money to pay for the groceries let alone book a cab. Fortunately, he did have enough money to pay for both.

He ran a hand through his hair mindlessly, breathing softly before he walked out of the room. Louis must have ordered takeout or something. He had to, it was not like he had any other choice. Louis did not like being hungry for a longer period of time — it was the ultimate truth Harry had the chance to learn over the time they had spent together. He flickered his gaze to the wooden floor below him as he entered the large kitchen, the pit of apprehension in his stomach digging deeper and deeper until it was a boundless abyss of anxiety. He took a deep breath, deciding to just check the kitchen for any sort of mess that would surely corroborate the fact that Louis had eaten his dinner already. Louis had a habit of never picking up after himself, depending on him for cleaning up all his clutter.

He was left confused, however, when his eyes roamed around the kitchen. The kitchen was clean—  cleaner than how he had left it in the morning. His eyes moved towards the kitchen sink, a small smile tugging up at his lips when he saw that the dishes had been washed. The entire kitchen was spotless, save for the Tupperware container sitting in the middle of the kitchen island. Harry trudged up to the white marble kitchen island slowly. Once he was seated comfortably on the kitchen stool, he grasped the container with his nimble fingers.