Chapter fifty-two

Heavily unedited, literally am supposed to study for my midterms which are like a day away but I felt like finishing this unfinished chapter today before I disappear in a tempest of presentations and vivas 😍✊

————

Explaining the cause behind his prolonged leave had gone easier than anticipated. Johnny had been extremely considerate of his reasons, and it had dawned on Harry that maybe, just maybe, Johnny was being a little too lenient on him. And after examining Louis' response to his qualms, a pit of dubiousness had started simmering in his mind. "But don't you think he's being too forbearing? I mean, I've taken more leaves than any other employee, and he still hasn't cut any amount from my paycheck." He pushed further, squinting his eyes to gauge Louis' reaction to the minutest detail. Louis' left eye twitched, the drumming of his fingers against the steering wheel getting louder by each tick of the clock. "He might have a crush on you or shit." He fought the urge to roll his eyes but in vain.

"A crush? On me? Louis, he already has a wife and an infant."

"Ever heard of this term called extra-marital affairs? Betas are ought to be unfaithful to their partners, motherfuckers never feel a real bond to the absolute depth of it." Louis shrugged, taking a prompt glance at him before he diverted his attention back to the road. "Beyond that absurd assumption of yours, I still don't think a man like Johnny would pine over an omega like me." Harry went on, frustration enlacing his voice in a slew of infuriated words.

"Why not?" Louis' voice was nothing but patient, flawlessly contradicting Harry's much urgent one. His workplace was nearing and as much as he didn't want to turn up late and possibly get away with his tardiness again, he also didn't want to end this matter as an open-ended conversation. "Because Johnny already has a wife who he adores and worships, and you also cannot belittle a gender like that."

"Betas are still unfaithful, though," Louis grumbled under his breath, pulling into the curb just outside the café. "So, what? Alphas and omegas never cheat?" He unbuckled his seatbelt, twisting in his seat to face Louis properly. "Those who are unfaithful might do." Harry was at his wit's ends after implementing many tactics he had used before on several conservative-minded people he had come across. But the thing with Louis was, he learned after drinking in the crinkles forming by the alpha's eyes, that he was adamant on his word, unbending and stubbornly adamant on getting the upper hand in the discussion— truthfully, Louis simply enjoyed seeing him get incensed by his trivial words and beliefs.

"So, anyone can be unfaithful, right? Not just betas."

"I mean, betas are the most unfaithful amongst the bunch." Louis looked the least bothered as he unclipped his seatbelt, reclining in his seat. "Well, then I think alphas are the most unfaithful amongst whatever bunch that you're talking about." He clipped back, adding more bite to his words than what was necessary. "How so?" Louis asked, lilt thick with amusement. "I don't know, they just are." He answered gruffly, turning around as he clicked open the door.