Chapter 45: Reading between the lines

For the second time in just a few days, Meredith found herself seated in an airport waiting room, with only Mark for company. Derek had disappeared in search of something to read on the plane, and being the Sunday after Thanksgiving, it was very busy. Though, the check-in had been much smoother for Meredith this time. She had trudged along with Derek and Mark to the front desk after they had returned the rental car, and hadn't felt like her heart was going to give out when her suitcase disappeared down the conveyor belt. And there had been no breakdown outside of security. Surprisingly, she actually found herself somewhat sad to be leaving. For the first time in her life she felt like she had a family; and she was hesitant to give that up.

The Shepherd's had spent the previous day sleeping in and relaxing around the house to recover from their holiday. And that morning, when she, Derek, and Mark had said goodbye, everyone had hugged her, including the children. And she had been startled to feel the beginnings of a familiar stinging behind her eyes. But they would be back in the spring, hopefully for at least a week. And she was already looking forward to it.

"The weekend went well," Mark commented with a wry smile.

Meredith nodded, unable to control the smile that came to her lips. "Really well."

"You were right," he said quietly. "I guess they really are my family. I thought that I would be..." he sighed. "I thought it would be awkward, but it was okay."

"They really do love you, Mark. Especially the kids. They definitely missed their Uncle Mark."

He smiled. "I got my family back."

She nodded her agreement.

"And you got a family."

She breathed. "I think so."

"I know so. They really like you, and Carol's particularly taken with you. You're definitely on the inside now."

Meredith smiled. "Thanks. I guess neither of us had anything to worry about."

Mark nodded his agreement. "No. We should have just listened to each other. It would have saved some anxiety."

"Like you practically shoving me off my feet because of a misunderstanding?"

He glared at her. "I just wanted to make everything clear."

Meredith rolled her eyes. "Well, I think you went a little overboard, but whatever."

"Hey, I was just making sure they knew I'd never cross that line again," he smirked at her. "No matter how much you beg me."

Meredith scoffed. "No matter how much I beg you? When have I ever begged? Wait, when have I ever shown any interest at all?"

"I know the signs; it's all about the unsaid things. Very discreet. I know you've wanted me."

She snorted. "Yeah, you just keep thinking whatever you want..."

He smirked. "Oh, I will."

"You're an ass."

"And I have a nice ass."

Meredith laughed. "So, apparently nice, easy to talk to, human Mark only lasts for a few days?"

He shrugged. "He comes and goes."

"Whatever. You're still an ass."

"What's he doing now?" Derek asked as he appeared beside her, collapsing into the chair with a new magazine in hand.

Meredith smiled as his arm immediately found her waist. "He's just being an ass."

"Ah, so nothing new, then?"