Chapter 26: efficacy vs efficiency

Meredith wandered around the bright, open foyer in potential new home number five. Her eyes were lifted upwards, staring at the bright blue sky three stories above them. She followed the line of skylights to the mahogany spiral staircase leading down from the open upper floor above them, and down to meet Derek's eyes.

She wandered towards him, tucking her body in beside him. "Maybe my way of house hunting is better than yours," she said jokingly.

He closed his arm around her waist and rolled his eyes at her. "This was a small, unforeseen complication," he whispered, his eyes on the realtor who was talking away about the size, history and location of the mini-mansion they found themselves in.

"A small complication? This is a freaking huge complication." Meredith spoke, making a point of pointing out the size of the houses they were being taken to see. This one was huge, and was definitely not the largest one they had seen that morning. "Did you give her any other criteria than Jacuzzi, view and windows?"

"Of course. I specified small, starter home."

"Well, she obviously didn't listen."

"Thank-you for pointing that out," he responded sarcastically.

She smirked. "You know, the classifieds may be time consuming, but at least when you go to look at the two bedroom apartment, it's a two bedroom apartment. And the one and a half story condo is one and a half stories. The small starter condo or apartment isn't a freaking mansion."

He sighed and mock glared at her. "This isn't a mansion."
She rolled her eyes. "Well, it's not a small starter home."

He shrugged his shoulders. "No. No, it's not."

"How do you two like it so far?" Their overly enthusiastic realtor, named Bridget, turned her attention back to them with a large, white-toothed smile and seemingly unblinking eyes. She kind of reminded Meredith of Izzy at Christmas, if she were on drugs and sleep deprived.

Meredith suppressed a smile and glanced up at Derek.

Derek smiled politely at the realtor. "It's still very large," he started.

"Yes, and very open. Lots of light, as you can see," she pointed up at the sky lights above them, as if they could have missed them. "And you haven't seen the view from the upstairs bedroom yet."

"I'm sure it's wonderful," Derek spoke before she could lead them up the stairs. "But what I meant is the house is much larger than we are looking for. All we really want for right now is a starter home. Something small."

Bridget turned lifted one manicured eyebrow at Derek, shifting her attention towards Meredith and then back. "Dr. Shepherd, for a couple in your profession, this is a starter home."

Derek paused before speaking. "Well, I guess we're just not like most others in our profession. We're really just looking for an apartment or a small condo."

Bridget looked shocked and turned her attention towards Meredith, as if expecting support.

Meredith shrugged. "We don't really take up much space."

Bridget looked completely flabbergasted. "Well, I, uh, I need to make some calls. Please excuse me." And with that she stepped out the large wooden double doors onto the wrap around porch, her cell phone out and open before she was out of sight.
"I think we scared her," Meredith stated through her barely controlled giggles.

Derek nodded his agreement as he closed his arms loosely around her middle. "I don't think I've ever loved you more than I love you right now. She completely expected your support there."