Chapter One

PART ONE: A WORLD FLIPPED UPSIDE DOWN

Alice's POV

I always liked winter. The crispness in the air, the snowflakes that stick to my eye lashes. It's my favourite season. And now I know why, it's destiny, like most things.

I sat in my family room, on the plush floral couch, my feet up on the arm rest as I laid my head on the other. I stared at the white ceiling... It should have been here any minute now... I looked at my dads old pocket watch that I use as a necklace. I checked the time, 4:06. It should actually be here already! I stood up and paced around the room and I heard it. The letter slot let out a clank as a thick envelope went through. I ran to the door at full speed, running through the dinning room. I slipped on my sock and slammed into the door with a thud. I rubbed my nose, Nice one, Alice... After I shook off the blow, I picked up the letter, holding it in my hands as if it would burst into flames any second.

"Claire!!!! It's here!" I yelled up the stairs. I heard thuds and bangs and then see my little sister, Claire, running down the stairs. She jumped into my arms. "Excited Hun?" The 3 year old nodded and giggled and snatched at the letter.

"Ah ah ah! Not yet!" I said and put her down and clutched the letter to my chest. Claire pouted but nodded and waddled to the living room and climbed up on the couch. I sat next to her, ignoring the other mail, siting by the door. "Ready?" I said, turning to Claire. She clapped her hands excitedly.

"Yeah yeah!" She giggled. I tore open the top of the envelope and pulled out the pages of heavy parchment. My eyes grew wide as I stared at the paper in awe. The first few sentences were:

'Dear Alice Shayden Neal, Safine Dragon Academy is thrilled to say that you have been chosen to attend our school. We hope this is good news for you and your family. The following pages are instructions on the next steps to take on your registration.'

I almost fell off the couch.

The entire room was spinning, Claire had her little hand on mine, looking at me in concern.

"A-are you alwight, Alwice?" She asked. I shook my head to clear my fuzzy vision.

"Yeah, I'm alright..." I said to her. Claire returned to her cheerful self after hearing that and then bounced up and down on the couch coushon.

"So what does it say????" She asked excitedly.

"Uh... I'm... I'm going to uh Safine..." I said trying to contain my joy and surprise. Claire's eyebrows scrunched together as she tried to sort out what I said.

"But don't Jillian and Sabrina go to Zelania? Why would you go to..." She said frustrated that she can't figure it out.

"Claire... I'm going the best dragon academy in all of Northsage!" I said overwhelmed with excitement.

"Safine... Didn't grandma go there...?" She said, still trying to sort this out in her mind.

"Uh yeah. I think so... Well I guess we have to wait until Mom and the twins get home..." I said sighing.

"Can we have lunch now?" Claire whined. I nodded and picked her up on my hip and carried her to the kitchen, sitting her on the counter top.

"Okay... Grilled cheese?" I asked her. She clapped her hands happily.

"Yeah, yeah!" She cheers. I smiled and got out the pan and turned on the stove. I've got this feeling that things as really going to change...