𝟎𝟏𝟔.

▃▃▃▃▃▃▃▃▃▃▃▃▃▃▃▃▃▃

▃▃▃▃▃▃▃▃▃▃▃▃▃▃▃▃▃▃

016. ❝ a challenge?
here comes the sun

"𝐓𝐇𝐀𝐓'𝐒 𝐅𝐔𝐂𝐊𝐈𝐍𝐆 crazy," I looked at Kie, adrenaline rushing through my body.

Kiara's expression was empty as we walked down the streets of the Cut. "Could you do me a favor Stells?"

"Yeah, sure."

"Please don't encourage John B too much. I know it's like a crazy coincidence that we found the compass, but Big John is probably dead and I think this to him is like a sign to start concocting."

"But what if he isn't—" her expression told me everything. "Yeah you're right sorry, I won't encourage any sort of concoctions."

I looked up into the sky and let the last few rays hit my face before the island would inevitably be tinted in a dark blue and the residents of the Outer banks would disperse and go home. For now, however, the island was in its usual buzz.

As a collective, we had decided to take the day off of the G-game tomorrow, since Kiara had to work and Pope had some merit scholarship stuff to attend to.

"What are you doing tomorrow?" Kie smiled, as she tied her long curls into a low bun.

"I've got nothing planned, just chilling and reading. Maybe catching up on some school work."

"Sure sounds exciting," she mocked me, giving me one of her notoriously warm smiles. We both came to a halt at the intersection, leading toward different parts of the island; Figure Eight and the Cut.

The bright lights of an all too familiar vehicle shone on us and passed us by while the song Come As You Are by Nirvana blasted through the speakers.

"Ugh," Kie rolled her eyes as the Kook king drove past us, sending us a wink. "Rafe fucking Cameron."

"Do you know him well?"

Her eyes shifted back to me. "To be honest, I know him a bit better than I would prefer."

"Well, you got to explain that statement now."

She bit down on her lower lip, eyes scanning the environment. "When Sarah and I were besties back in freshman year, well I was constantly at their house and so we talked a few times..."

Her gaze moved around not focusing on me, hiding her embarrassment. "You talked? That's the big secret?" I mocked her slightly.

"Ok fine, we... we had like a thing," she blurted out.