Chapter 7

The farmhouse was old and could use an update, but it was exactly what Mila had dreamed of when she imagined her own farm.

It had a large wrapped porch and large windows. It faced a fenced pen and the side of a red barn.

The sun was setting, in perfect view of the front of the house, casting them in a pretty glow. She breathed in the fresh air.

Buck noticed her watching the sky.

"Wanna watch before I show you inside?" he offered.

She nodded, "Please."

He disappeared inside and she took a seat on one of the rocking chairs. There was a cool breeze, and just for a moment, she could picture herself living happily here. She shook the thought away. She was foolish, stupid, just like her brother said.

Buck returned with a thick quilt and a container.

He draped the blanket over her lap, and sat in the other chair. His hat had disappeared, and he sighed contentedly.

He pulled off the lid, revealing imperfect, but fluffy looking chocolate chip cookies. He offered her the tin.

She bit back a smile, "Thanks."

"Made them just for you, in hopes that you would be stopping by."

She couldn't deny how sweet that was and a blush creeped up her neck.

Once the sun had disappeared along with the pinks and reds it had left behind, Mila followed Buck inside.

The kitchen was newly renovated and up to date, not to mention massive. There was a large window above the sink that she imagined had a great view.

He showed her her bedroom which was a little older, but charming. She loved the creaky floors and the bright quilt on the bed. She had her own bathroom. It was really cozy and comfortable.

"My bedroom is the only other one on this side. I'll be easy to find if you need me," he said. "I'll get you some of my clothes to sleep in for tonight."

She took a seat on the edge of the bed. Her whole body sagged in relief. Her ribs ached and she was beyond drained.

"I know you're hurting," Buck said, startling her. She didn't even know he had come back. "I don't have any right to know what went on in your life, but at least let me look at your injury so I can see how I can help."

"It's my ribs."

He nodded, "Go ahead a change into these so I can take a look." He offered her sweatpants and a t-shirt.

She went to the bathroom to change, but she struggled to get her dress over her head. She held back tears, taking a seat on the lid of the toilet. It hurt to breathe and to move. She was so helpless.

She smeared her tears with her palm, deciding to do what terrified her.

"Buck," she called to the man who was sitting at the desk.

He glanced up lazily, like he was dozing. "What's wrong?" He jumped up, noticing her tears. "What happened?"

A few more tears fell. "I can't get my dress off."

He relaxed, "It's okay. You've had a long day. Do you want my help?"

She nodded, her cheeks dark with embarrassment.

"I'm here for whatever you need," he whispered, reaching for the end of her dress. "I won't even look. See?" He squeezed his eyes shut, pulling the fabric over her head.

She struggled to get her arms out of the sleeves, but she was thankful for his help. She even giggled when he turned away, eyes still shut. He was kind of goofy. When was the last time she had ever laughed, even just slightly?

His clothes hung off of her, but they were warm and she was thankful to be out of the dress she had been in all day.

"Lay down here so I can take a look at those ribs," he said and she did as she was told.

She lifted her shirt to below her breasts, revealing the black and blue skin.

Buck cursed at the sight.

"Can I see which ones are broken?" he asked and she nodded.

He ran his finger along the swollen skin, and she inhaled sharply at the discomfort. He could feel two distinct fractures, and he was thankful it wasn't more.

"You're a damn strong women. I've fallen off a horse to know how one feels. I can't imagine two and all this bruising. I don't know how you were walking."

He eased her shirt down, taking her hand and gently helping her sit up.

"How about some medicine? And some ice?"

"I don't want to be too much trouble-"

"None at all," he flashed an easy smile, disappearing once more.

He helped her get comfortable, and she muffled her yawn. She was cute.

"You just yell if you need me. There's no rush for you to get up tomorrow. Take the day if you need it. I get up at the crack ass of dawn, and there's no need for you to."

"I can cook, or clean for you," she mumbled, peeking up at him. She was confused. He hadn't changed from being kind yet. He must be a great actor.

"I can cook and clean just fine on my own. You aren't a servant, you're a guest. Help yourself to whatever, just be careful around the animals until I show you around."

He wished her a goodnight and left her to silence.