28

MISTAKE

He was ready to start the morning, all motivated and happy. Taehyung took his sweet time brushing his teeth, for some reason he felt like newborn, like nothing was standing in his way today. Combing his hair through, but not changing from his pajamas, Taehyung tippled downstairs to the kitchen-

But, when he heard that voice, when he saw the familiar black hair, those familiar dark eyes, he froze like ice on the place, feeling strong waves of millions of emotions crash down on him.

The memories from yesterday flooded him, rolled over him like a truck over a stick and it suddenly felt like his knees wanted to give up on him.

"What are you doing here?"

Two pairs of eyes landed on Taehyung. One pair of eyes locking with his.

Jeongguk nervously chewed on his lip. He knew Taehyung wouldn't be happy to see him- he can't expect that of him after what he had done.

"He drove you home last night and stayed over," Hana responded to her son, taking away the heaviness of that question from Jeongguk's shoulders. The relief and gratitude Jeongguk felt towards her was evident in his eyes.

Taehyung still looked at Jeongguk, who was looking back at him with an uncertain, almost scared expression. He didn't know what to think about the raven haired being here again and he didn't know what to think about the game from yesterday, the kiss, or the fact that he broke down in Jeongguk's arms, crying and then fell asleep and the older brought him home.

He couldn't think at all.

But he could feel. Feel the confusion, the surprise, the fear. And the sudden gratitude. And he wasn't this thankful because Jeongguk drove him home.

It was the fact that Jeongguk stayed.

Slowly and wordlessly, he walked to the table and sat down in the seat right in front of Jeongguk.

The room fell silent after that, the air filling with awkwardness. Taehyung noticed the helpless looks Jeongguk gave his mother from time to time and it had him internally smiling a little, but he still kept his straight face.

"Why didn't you leave yesterday?" He asked, suddenly eager to hear Jeongguk's answer. Why did he leave a year ago, but stayed yesterday?

"Your mom asked me to stay," Jeongguk answers. Ms Kim stayed silent. She didn't want to mingle in her son's business, although she already did a little, oops. No, jokes aside, she just wants the best for both of the boys and knows that this won't be the case until they are finally reunited again.

"Did you bring me home?"

"Obviously he did. I'm not carrying a big baby like you to bed, nuh-oh," Ms Kim interrupted, sipping on her coffee.

Jeongguk felt the need to laugh, but rather kept quiet, feeling Taehyung's eyes on him. He wasn't sure what the younger was feeling, his expressionless face was almost scary.

He swallowed hardly. "Maybe I should go now.."

Taehyung's expression changed that instant.

"No... We need to...I mean.." His voice broke off. He sighed. Playing strong and as if yesterday didn't happy was a bad idea. He felt too weak to speak about yesterday though. He felt too drained out of energy to even think about it. The kiss, the words, quiet promises they made.

The way it all made Taehyung rather anxious right now, which is totally contrasting to how secure he felt yesterday, made him quiet down completely and keep his thoughts to himself.

He wanted Jeongguk to stay, so that they could talk things out, because what happened yesterday wasn't meaningless. Definitely not.

If they talk right now, would Jeongguk tell Taehyung the truth about why he left?

He hopes so. And yet at the same time and also for the first time ever, he questioned if he actually wanted to know the truth. Looking at Jeongguk's eyes, he knows the ravenette also wanted to tell him the truth, but something was holding him back. For the first time, Taehyung acknowledged that and it just added the cherry on top to his already creamy cupcake of anxiety. He was scared that truth would hurt him just more.

So he stayed quiet.

A small breath left Jeongguk as he got up from the table. "Thank you for allowing me to sleep over and also thank you for the food, Hana." Jeongguk put on a smile for Taehyung's mother, one that was obviously fake and to hide the hurt behind.

Then he turned to Taehyung, who was looking to his lap. "I'm sorry about yesterday. I shouldn't have pushed you like this... it was a mistake, I'm sorry."

No, no, no. Taehyung felt his heart shrink by Jeongguk's apology. It was no mistake. It felt like rehabilitation for Taehyung's heart. These past few days Taehyung was stuck with Jeongguk constantly being in his mind- in literally any way possible.

And he was aware of the fact that he was slowly catching feelings for the older, so that damn kiss wasn't a mistake. Not from his view though. That Jeongguk called it a mistake, didn't hit him though. Because he knows the ravenette wasn't regretting it. Why else would he be here?

"Wait!" Taehyung called out and Jeongguk turned around midway. "Don't say that it was a mistake, please."

Bet, if the room was quiet enough, you would've been able to hear Jeongguk's heartbeat pounding out his eardrums.

"Also thank you for bringing me home and... to bed," Taehyung thanked.

Jeongguk looked at him and a small smile formed on his lips. "Don't thank me for that."

Their eyes locked for a few seconds.

"That's my cue to leave. And you two... please talk to each other," Hana spoke. She doesn't exactly know what had happened the night prior, but judging how the boys talked about a 'mistake' she either imagined they did the deed or something else has happened that got them so conflicted.

The room went silent when the boys were left alone.

Jeongguk actually was supposed to be leaving right now, but even in this silence, he stayed rooted on his spot, eyes reeking over everything but the blond across the room. "You don't think it was a mistake?"

Taehyung froze for a second when Jeongguk's voice cut through the silence.

The blond shook his head. "No... not for me.."

Jeongguk hummed, trying to contain the happiness that ran through him.

"And.. was it a mistake to you?" Taehyung questioned warily.

Jeongguk gave a curt shook of his head. "No," he responded.

Both males ended up being flustered, not knowing what to actually feel in a moment like that. What was sure though, was the fact that strange happiness was going through them.

The kiss changed more than it should have.

" Then.. I'm leaving. See you tomorrow," Jeongguk spoke awkwardly and Taehyung held giggles back, not feeling ready to show Jeongguk how this whole situation affected him.

"Yes, See you in school..." Taehyung whispered back, then watched Jeongguk turn around and leave. When he heard the entrance door fall shut, he took the deepest breath, just noticing how he was holding his breath before.

And he smiled, suddenly feeling all flustered and giddy for some reason inside.

This didn't happen, did it? They kissed? And... Jeongguk wasn't regretting it?

author

2 days then i'm going to see ateez and i'm so so freaking excited