Chapter Fifteen

Kana's Pov:

Sollemere had pulled back, far back from the explosion the day before. Her hands were still shaking, the smells continuously circling through her head, tricking her nose to smell them when they weren't there.

Most of the wounded had been hauled to the boats, many had left this morning, with the women and children. Today, today it would all come to an end. They would be slaughtered today.

Jameel kept a careful arm around her waist as they studied the boasting lines of Sollemere from a far. He whispered, "There has to be another way."

"Meave would still hunt me to the ends of the earth." The Mother would destroy my eternal soul for defying her. The ghosts swarmed whispering in her ear, in the heat of midday everyone was anxious, Sollemere had stood still all day. Plotting, whispering.

Two units had gone missing from Sollemere, it worried her. They were likely camped out in the village, waiting until the doors were unblocked for what they assumed would be their evacuation route.

Like thunder through the clear skies the drums sounded. A three note pitch, bu-na-bum, bu-na-bum, bu-na-bum. Jameel tensed, silence came forward one more. Today, today she would burn out until her last drop of power was snatched from her veins. She had used it sparingly, resting as much as possible to regain what she lost.

Bu-na-bum. The Commander of the forces stepped forward, outstretching his arms. Obviously shielded by magic, so no one dared fire. "Surrender now! Hand over the Moonshadow wielder to us! And the wounded shall not be slaughtered!"

The Commander grinned, a wild glaze over his eyes as our silence spoke more words than we could. He shouted, his elongated canines prominent within his grin. "We have found your secret passages! To the seas! Surrender now, and we will not slaughter you all!"

She faltered. How? They didn't have the time to travel and search every single tunnel, they didn't have access to the mountain. The silence of betrayal sounded in her ears. It was limited to a few people, very few people.

The soldiers shuffled, shifting their weight, the lines moving slightly. Our silence gave them an opportunity. She pulled a bow from the wall beside her, itt had been a fae-hunters bow until now. Gripped in dark leather gloves, no one noticed the small female atop the mountain balconies.

Preparing her aim. She pulled the long iron rod back, the silver fethers of the arrow dominate in everyway. The five inch by two an a half inch arrow head, the most terrifying piece was the older old language inscribed on the think shaft of the rod.

Memento Mori.

Remember that you will die.

The iron piece was a fallen star, catching the attention of a single soldier. She strained, pulling the four foot long arrow back, the five'ten, almost Illyrian size bow, creaked as the arrow drew back.

The soldier roared, a final warning. Memento Mori. And so she fired, the avenging arrow firing across the plains. She sent her ghosts out, like an avenging angels.

Their presence guided the arrow, a faint white glow around it. Making it appear like a godsend. Or in the Raavi's place, a mountain-send. The blood splatter of the fake Commander could be seen from anywhere on the plains. The four foot arrow lodged directly between his eyes.

There was a pause of silence, and then the battle began anew.

Kana threaded Jameel and her directly into the right flank. She saw the opening and took it, diving right into their blood. She had to cover her hair before anyone noticed. The soldiers were on strict orders to keep her in one piece, which was absolutely shit that the Commander had shouted that.