21*Mate,Fire and a Truce

Obinna slammed the wooden door of his hut in frustration.
"What is it!?"
Uche demanded, holding his friend's shoulders tightly.

"I can feel her, Uche"
He said with glazed eyes.
"She...she is in so much pain!"
"Then go find her! You can not just sit still any longer and wait for luck to bring her to you!"

Obinna sighed deeply as he weaved his fingers through his dreadlocks.
"What about the Sanctuary? Am I going to just leave it here?"

"You forget that I am also a Protector of this Sanctuary! I am very offended that you tend to underestimate me!"
Uche was only joking around,but Obinna knew that truth lay behind those words.

His eyes fell at his friend's words.
"I am really sorry brother...I...I did not mean to..."
"It is alright! You have to speak with the Elders and the people today. The longer we wait,the worse it will become."

Uche's voice had a tone of finality . Obinna knew that there was no hiding from this one especially when it involved- the one thing which had plagued him over the moons.

He nodded slowly.
Now was time to make a decision, one that would be for the benefit of everyone... hopefully.

*

"THIS SANCTUARY HAS BEEN A SAFE PLACE FOR US ALL, THROUGH OUT THESE MOONS!"
Obinna's thunderous voice hollered over the hundreds of people who sat on the dry red sand,under the great Akwu tree.

"MANY HAVE FOUND THEIR MATES, FAMILY, FRIENDS AND PURPOSE! BUT OUR ELDERS SAY THAT GOOD THINGS DO NOT LAST FOREVER!"

He glanced around looking at the puzzled stares from the people.
The elders already knew what was coming.
Age had taught them and they were prepared.
But the people on the other hand knew very little.
For years they had been training for a war, one they never expected to happen.

"Sadly..." His voice faltered.
"The darkness we have been preparing for is fast approaching. As one of the few Oses left,I have been able to sense my mate and the storm she is coming with! That is why tomorrow before the first lights,I would be leaving the Sanctuary!"

There was a collective gasp amongst the people as babbles of questions, complaints and worries began to rise.

"No one has ever left the Sanctuary!"
"The outside world is full of death!"
"What about your position as a Protector!"

Uche stepped into the podium with his right fist raised, signalling silence.

"As Obinna's best friend, brother and a fellow Protector,it pains me to watch him leave! But as we all know, Obinna is an Ose, he and his wolf have been able to sense a great danger and destruction! Thankfully, the goddess has sent a savior...his mate!"

"I have to leave to find her..."
Obinna continued.
"If not...the fate of our Sanctuary could be in danger!"
This hushed the questions.
Everyone sat still,fear and worry written all over their faces.

"There is no need to fear! We have been training you all for this war for Red Moons now! Continue your training while I find our savior! LONG LIVE THE SANCTUARY!!"

There was a great roar of response as the fighting spirit returned to the crowd.
But despite the noise and chaos, he could could still make out someone's eyes_an unspoken agreement forming between them.
*
*
*

The ground was spinning.
Her ears were ringing.
Her head was banging.

The explosion shattered everything to the ground. Aira could smell the pungent and choking smell of gun powder.